This Mother’s Day 2020 is different in many ways. We are all experiencing a lock-down – something which we have never seen before in our lives. But, even in the midst of all this uncertainty, we are trying to do things which can make special days even more special. And that’s what I tried to do this year. I collaborated with four other food bloggers to bring to you one recipe from each of them. We have all recorded the process as a video too and have combined it all together into a single video. The best part in this is that these recipes are made by our kids. And that makes it extra special. These are all simple recipes which you can make with your children and enjoy some special moments together. Do watch the video till the end to see what our little chefs are cooking for you (And if you like what we have put together, please don’t forget to subscribe to https://www.youtube.com/foodtokwithsherin/ and follow my blog for new recipes every week!). Wishing all the lovely moms out there a very Happy Mother’s Day.
This recipe of Chocolate Cake is presented by Lubna Gafoor (https://www.facebook.com/Buttercupscupcakes/ and https://www.instagram.com/Buttercupscupcakesblr/) and her daughters, Amani who is baking this cake for us (https://www.instagram.com/thecheffingtonpost/), and Imaan who is behind the camera for the shoot and has also made that beautiful painting on fondant (https://www.instagram.com/heydoodledoodle/). Do check out their pages and follow them..:)
This Chocolate Cake is a single bowl recipe – so that makes it pretty easy to make and you can whip it up in no time. The detailed recipe, as shared by Lubna, is given below.
Few things to keep in mind
- Buttermilk: Add 1 tbsp of white vinegar in a jar and top it with 1 cup of whole milk. Stir and let sit for 15 minutes before using in the recipe
- Make ahead tips: This cake can be made ahead and stored at room temperature, covered tightly in plastic wrap, for up to two days. Alternatively, you can cover with plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to two months before thawing to room temperature
- All Purpose Flour – 2 cups (265 gms)
- White Granulated Sugar – 1 2/3 cups (340 gms)
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder (not Dutch Process) – 2/3 cup (60 gms)
- Baking Soda – 2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Kosher Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup (120 ml)
- Eggs – 2, at room temperature
- Vanilla Extract – 1 1/2 tsp
- Full Fat Butter Milk – 1 cup (240 ml), at room temperature (See Recipe Notes Above)
- Hot Water – 1 cup (240 ml)
Step by Step Process
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and prepare three 6-inch or two 8-inch cake pans by spraying the sides with cooking spray and fitting the bottoms with a wax paper or parchment cake circle.
- Place all of the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and stir on low for 30 seconds to fully combine them. Add the vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk and mix on low until just combined. With the mixer still on low, add the hot water in a slow stream, then turn the mixer to medium and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. The batter will be very thin.
- Pour into prepared cake pans no more than 2/3 full and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before removing it from the pans. Frost with chocolate buttercream or any other frosting of your choice.
Links to all the Mother’s Day 2020 Collaboration Recipes:
- Chocolate Cake: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/chocolate-cake-mothers-day
- Tortilla Sandwich: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/tortilla-sandwich-mothers-day
- Chocolate Mug Cake: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/chocolate-mug-cake-mothers-day
- Pizza Cups: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/pizza-cups-mothers-day
- White Chocolate No-Bake Cake: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/white-chocolate-no-bake-cake-mothers-day