This Mother’s Day 2020 is different in many ways. We are all experiencing a lock-down – something which we have never seen before in our lives. But, even in the midst of all this uncertainty, we are trying to do things which can make special days even more special. And that’s what I tried to do this year. I collaborated with four other food bloggers to bring to you one recipe from each of them. We have all recorded the process as a video too and have combined it all together into a single video. The best part in this is that these recipes are made by our kids. And that makes it extra special. These are all simple recipes which you can make with your children and enjoy some special moments together. Do watch the video till the end to see what our little chefs are cooking for you (And if you like what we have put together, please don’t forget to subscribe to https://www.youtube.com/foodtokwithsherin/ and follow my blog for new recipes every week!). Wishing all the lovely moms out there a very Happy Mother’s Day.
This recipe of White Chocolate No Bake Cake is presented by my daughter, Joanna. It is in a way her own recipe. I had posted the recipe of a No Bake Chocolate Cake (https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/02/27/no-bake-chocolate-cake/) sometime back. She had made it on her own twice after seeing the video. She once suggested that we should try making the same with White Chocolate too. I liked the idea and started discussing with her on how we should change the recipe for White Chocolate. The result was this recipe that we are sharing with you on this special occasion of Mother’s Day 2020.
Few things to keep in mind
- Making the ganache: In the video, we have shown the double boiler method for making the ganache for the cake as well as for the topping. There are two other alternate methods for doing this. First one: Melt the white chocolate partially in the microwave and then add the rest of the ingredients. Keep heating in bursts of 10 sec till all the chocolate is melted properly. Second Method: Heat the cream till it simmers. Add the orange zest and butter to it and then pour this mixture on top of the chocolate. Let it stand for 5 min and then mix till all the chocolate is melted. If the chocolate is not melting properly, you can heat this in microwave in 10 sec bursts till you have a smooth chocolate mixture.
- White Chocolate: Grating the chocolate or cutting it into small pieces will ensure that it melts evenly. White Chocolate can split very easily when over heated. If it happens, then mix it well and let it come down to room temperature. Keep stirring in between. You can also add a few drops of milk to bring it all together. For me, it works if I let it cool down completely and sit for a while till it thickens. And then I stir it all together again so that the chocolate, cream and butter is well incorporated together.
- Orange: I like the flavour of oranges along with the white chocolate. It helps cutting down the sweetness of the chocolate and adds a new dimension to the dessert. We used the zest from one full orange for this recipe.
For the Cake
- White Chocolate – 250 gms, cut into small pieces or grated
- Fresh Cream – 150 ml
- Butter – 100 gms
- Orange Zest – ¾ tbsp
- Oreo Cookies – 100 gms
For the Ganache
- White Chocolate – 100 gms, cut into small pieces or grated
- Fresh Cream – 50 ml
- Butter – 25 gms
- Orange Zest – 1 tsp
Step by Step Process
- Heat water in a saucepan. Place a bowl on the pan such that the bowl doesn’t touch the water. This is called a double boiler. Add the grated or cut white chocolate pieces into the bowl. Keep stirring till it slowly starts melting. Keep heat on low.
- Add the cream, butter and orange zest to the chocolate and mix it all well. Turn of the heat and let the chocolate melt completely in the residual heat.
- Step 1 and 2 can also be done in a microwave – by melting the white chocolate partially in the microwave and then adding the rest of the ingredients. Keep heating in bursts of 10 sec till all the chocolate is melted properly.
- The third method to melt the chocolate is to first heat the cream till it simmers. Add the orange zest and butter to it and then pour this mixture on top of the chocolate. Let it stand for 5 min and then mix till all the chocolate is melted. If the chocolate is not melting properly, you can heat this in microwave in 10 sec bursts till you have a smooth chocolate mixture.
- Crush the Oreo cookies into small pieces. Add this to the chocolate mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Grease a 6- or 7-inch cake tin or two smaller tart tins with butter. You can also line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the prepared tins and put it into the freezer for 10 min, while you prepare your ganache.
- For preparing ganache, use either the double boiler method as mentioned in step 1 and 2 or the methods mentioned in step 3 or step 4.
- Once the chocolate, cream, butter and orange zest are all mixed well and you have a smooth sauce, take the cake out of the freezer and pour the ganache on top. Sprinkle some oreo cookie powder on top and then leave it in the refrigerator to set for a couple of hours.
- Un-mould and cut into pieces and enjoy this no bake cake.
Links to all the Mother’s Day 2020 Collaboration Recipes:
- Chocolate Cake: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/chocolate-cake-mothers-day
- Tortilla Sandwich: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/tortilla-sandwich-mothers-day
- Chocolate Mug Cake: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/chocolate-mug-cake-mothers-day
- Pizza Cups: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/pizza-cups-mothers-day
- White Chocolate No-Bake Cake: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/05/10/white-chocolate-no-bake-cake-mothers-day
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!