Oats and Moong Dal Chilla is a quick to prepare, healthy, vegan, and gluten-free Indian breakfast recipe. It is made with yellow moong dal, oats, vegetables – the good nutrients required to start your day. Serve these savory moong dal pancakes with green chutney or ketchup.
Chillas are typical Indian breakfast and are a perfect way to start your day. The flavours and ingredients you add can be changed as per your taste. You can also stuff these chillas with some flavoured cottage cheese to make it a filling meal!
Oats and Moong Dal ChillaCourse: BreakfastCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Great start to the day – this Oats moong dal chilla is filled with nutrition.
Moong Dal – ½ cup
Regular Cooking Oats – ½ cup, ground to a fine powder
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Green Chilli – 1, finely chopped
Ginger – ½ inch piece, finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1-2 bunches, finely chopped
Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
Carrom/Ajwain Seeds – ¼ tsp
Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
Red Chilli Powder – ¼ tsp
Salt – about ¾ tsp (adjust as per taste)
Water – ¾ – 1 cup (adjust as per required consistency)
- Wash and soak the moong dal for a couple of hours and drain off the water.
- Grind this to a fine paste with a little water.
- Transfer this to a bowl and add the powdered oats, onion, green chilli, ginger, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, carrom seeds, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and water and mix well.
- The batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Heat a pan and spread some oil onto it.
- Spread the chilla thin on the pan and add some oil around it to help the sides crisp up.
- When the sides start changing color, flip over and cook the other side too.
- Once the chilla is cooked on both sides, take it off heat.
- Repeat the same for the remaining batter.
- Serve these chillas with some chutney or pickle.