Sometimes we look for a spice mix that’s little different from the usual and can be used for different desserts. This cake spice mix is one such mix that I usually have ready in my pantry. I use it for some of my cakes as well as other desserts like puddings, pies and even cookies.
It’s pretty simple and straightforward to make. You can make it and store it in an air-tight bottle and it will stay for long.
Few things to keep in mind
- Cardamom Pods: I generally use whole cardamoms for making this. But it does make it a little more difficult to grind the mix to a fine powder and sieving. So if you want, you can just use the cardamom seeds. The cardamom skin can be put into your tea tin and it will impart a beautiful flavour to the tea leaves!
- Sieving of the spice mix: I sieve the spice mix first using a sieve with larger holes and then do the final sieving on a sieve with fine holes. This is much easier than trying to sieve it using a fine sieve initially itself.
- Cloves – 2 tbsp (about 10 gms)
- Cardamom – 2 tbsp (about 10 gms)
- Cinnamon – 2 pieces of about an inch each (about 10 gms)
- Nutmeg – 1 small piece
- Cake Jeera / Caraway Seeds – 2 tbsp (about 10 gms)
Step by Step Process
- Grind all the ingredients into a fine powder in a mixer. You can remove the skin of the cardamom and use just the seeds as well for this.
- Sieve the ground powder through a sieve. The mix which is left behind can be ground again till most of it is well powdered.
- Sieve it all finally using a fine sieve so that the spice mix is as fine as possible.
- Store the mix in an airtight bottle. This spice mix can be used to flavour different cakes and cookies.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!