If you have every tried to make a bread pudding, you will know how easy it is to make. So this recipe is a variant of a bread pudding – with some additional flavors which make it all the more delicious!
I like to flavor this pudding with some cake spice mix (if you have been following me, you will know I like to sneak this in whenever I can..;) ) and lemon rind. Neither of these have overpowering flavors, but it just enhances the overall taste of the dish. I like the fact that this pudding tickles your taste buds at different levels.
I have given a detailed step by step process for you to follow and the link to the video recipe as well. Do give this easy peasy dessert a try..:)
Few things to keep in mind
- Bread: If you have bread which is a few days old or a little dry and nobody cares to make a sandwich with it and eat, then this is the perfect recipe that you can use it in. I actually used homemade bread that was in the refrigerator for two days and this pudding came out perfect.
- Baking Time: Baking time can vary a little. So make sure you keep checking on how the top looks. I prefer baking this in a glass dish, as that helps me to see that the pudding is not getting dry. We need to bake till the top of the pudding is a slight golden brown color.
- Butter – 100 gms, soft and at room temperature
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Cake Spice Mix / Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp (Recipe: http://foodtokwithsherin.wpcomstaging.com/2020/01/27/cake-spice-mix/)
- Eggs – 3
- Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon rind – 1/2 tsp
- Pineapple tidbits – 400 gms tin, drained
- Bread slices – 6, cut into cubes or crumbled with hand
Step by Step Process
- Preheat oven to 170 C.
- Beat together butter, sugar and cake spice mix till well combined and soft. You can use an electric beater or whisk it by hand as well.
- Add the eggs one by one and continue beating.
- Add the vanilla essence and lemon rind and beat again to mix everything well.
- Add in the pineapple tidbits and bread slices into this and mix well.
- Butter a dish and pour the mix into the buttered dish.
- Bake at 170 C for 30 min till top is caramelized and is firm.
- While serving, you can warm up the pudding in a microwave and serve it with some ice cream too!