Crepes are one of our favourite breakfast options, especially over weekends when we all can sit together and enjoy it together. So it goes without saying that I keep experimenting with different filling options. It just so happens that all of us like caramelized bananas and so this is usually on the table as one of the filling options when we have crepes for breakfast.. Oh yeah! we end up having atleast two filling options when it’s crepes..:)
Few things to keep in mind
- Crepe Batter: The consistency of the crepe batter should not be very thick. It should have a good flowing consistency which makes it easier to spread thin. I use the pouring ladle itself to spread it thin, but if you do have the T shape crepe maker, please go ahead and use it to get those perfectly thin crepes!
- Bananas: I have used robusta bananas which are the most readily bananas here. They tend to get mushy fast, so I make sure I get firm ones and don’t overcook them. You can adjust the time you cook the bananas depending on the variety of banana you are using.
- Sugar: It is better to use castor sugar or fine grained sugar for this. It melts and caramelizes faster and evenly too.
For the crepe
- Egg – 2
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup (adjust to get the right consistency)
- Melted Butter – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
For the filling
- Bananas – 2, cut into circles
- Castor/Fine Sugar – 2-3 tbsp (enough to coat the banana pieces)
- Cake Spice / Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp (https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/01/27/cake-spice-mix/)
- Butter – 2 tbsp
Step by Step Process
- To prepare the crepe batter, whisk the eggs with the milk, melted butter, vanilla essence, sugar and salt.
- Once combined properly, whisk in the flour and mix it to a lump free batter. Add water as needed to adjust the consistency to a pourable but not very thin batter. Let the batter sit covered till the filling is prepared.
- Mix the sugar and cake spice mix/cinnamon powder in a bowl and add the banana slices to it. Let the slices be coated properly.
- Heat a pan and add the butter to it. Once the butter is melted, add the banana slices to it and let it caramelize on both sides. Take it off heat and set it aside.
- To prepare the crepes, heat a pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a ladle full of batter and spread it evenly and thin onto the pan.
- Once the crepe cooks, it slowly starts to brown from the sides and lifts off the pan. The top will also be cooked by this time.
- Add the filling and fold the crepes. Place the filling in the centre of crepe and fold it over. Or you can just fold the crepes and serve the filling separately. Either ways serve hot!