This is another one of our favourite weekend breakfast items. I generally make crepes two way – one as per this recipe and another one with caramelized banana filling. We love both these variants. And whenever I make this for the weekend, all I see are happy faces at the breakfast table…:)
Few things to keep in mind
- Crepe Batter: The consistency of the crepe batter should not be very thick. It should have a good flowing consistency which makes it easier to spread thin. I use the pouring ladle itself to spread it thin, but if you do have the T shape crepe maker, please go ahead and use it to get those perfectly thin crepes!
- Sugar: It is better to use castor sugar or fine grained sugar for this. It melts and caramelizes faster and evenly too.
- Apples: I have used red apples for this recipes. However, if you are using green apples, you may want to increase the quantity of sugar and decrease lemon juice.
For the crepe
- Egg – 2
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup (adjust to get the right consistency)
- Melted Butter – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
For the filling
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Apple – 2, cut into cubes
- Sugar – 4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – 1 tsp
Step by Step Process
- To prepare the crepe batter, whisk the eggs with the milk, melted butter, vanilla essence, sugar and salt.
- Once combined properly, whisk in the flour and mix it to a lump free batter.
- Add water as needed to adjust the consistency to a pouring but not very thin batter. Let the batter sit covered till the filling is prepared.
- For the filling, toss the apple pieces in the sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon powder.
- Heat the butter in a pan and once the butter has melted, add the apples to it. Saute it in the butter till the apples are slightly caramelized and release the juices.
- To prepare the crepes, heat a pan on medium heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add a ladle full of batter and spread it evenly and thin onto the pan.
- Once the crepe cooks, it slowly starts to brown from the sides and lifts off the pan. The top will also be cooked by this time.
- Add the filling and fold the crepes. Place the filling in the centre of crepe and fold it over. Serve hot!