Sugar-free Granola is an easy to make breakfast option if you are really looking at avoiding sugar. I have flavoured these with orange juice and orange rind. I prefer having this with yoghurt or thick/hung curd and drizzle a tiny bit of honey on top or add some chopped fresh fruits/berries for an added flavour. You can have this as an intermediate snack too.
As far as the health benefits of this recipe goes, oats contain betaglucan, which is a soluble fibre, that helps keep blood glucose level in control. Fresh fruits have high amount of fiber and its good for diabetic patients to reduce weight and keep sugar under control. Nuts and seeds are rich in proteins, calcium and omega 3 fatty acid. Yogurt is rich in calcium.
This recipe was shared by Anupama Menon (Food Coach and Nutritionist) and her team at Right Living, which is a health solutions firm based in Bangalore. You can get in touch with Anupama for your corporate as well as personal health goals through her Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/iamanupamamenon
Few things to keep in mind
- Oats: I have used the regular cooking oats for this and it has worked well for me. You can use rolled oats if you have them handy.
- Nuts and Seeds: The nuts and seeds added in this recipe are keeping in mind the requirements of those who are on a diabetic diet. If you do not have dietary restrictions, you can use other nuts and dried fruits too in this.
- Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Sunflower Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pumpkin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Watermelon Seeds – 1 tbsp (can also add sesame seeds and flax seeds)
- Orange Juice – 2-3 tbsp
- Orange rind – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Fruits like berries and apples
- Thick yogurt – 1-2 tbsp (You can either use hung yogurt or thick yogurt with not much water content)
- Honey – 1 tsp (if needed, while serving)
- Almonds – 5-6, chopped
Step by Step Process
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Mix Orange juice to the oats and mix it well.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, except the fresh fruits, yogurt and almonds.
- Spread it evenly on a baking tray and bake for 30-45 min, turning the mixture frequently, till the muesli is crunchy.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely. Store in an airtight container till ready to serve.
- For serving, add yogurt, fresh fruits and chopped almonds. A tsp of honey can also be drizzled on top for added sweetness.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!