This is another easy snack + dessert recipe. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and can be prepared pretty quickly too. I like to bake it, but you can pan fry it as well. I have used apples as the filling for this. But I am pretty sure other fruits like bananas, peaches, pineapple, oranges – all these will go really well as a filling too.
Few things to keep in mind
- Bread: Please make sure you use fresh bread for this. I have tried with bread which was in the fridge and a day or two, and it tore while rolling up.
- Filling: I have used apples for filling these. But other fillings like caramelized bananas, pears, peaches or pineapples will work perfectly well too.
For the Roll Ups
- White Bread Slices – 8
- Castor Sugar or Brown Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon Powder – ½ tsp
- Melted butter – for brushing on the roll ups
For the Apple Filling
- Apple – 1 (Red or Green apple can be used)
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Brown Sugar – 1 tsp / 2 tsp (depending on sweetness of apples)
- Corn flour – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – ½ tsp
- Vanilla – ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice – as per choice (can skip as well)
Step by Step Process
- Peel the apples, remove the core and cut into small pieces. Add the lemon juice, if using, to the apples.
- In a small sauce pan, add the water, brown sugar, corn flour, cinnamon and vanilla and let it come to a boil and thicken a little
- Add the apples to this and let the sauce coat the apples properly. Let this simmer for a minute. Remove from heat and keep it aside for cooling.
- Mix the castor sugar (or brown sugar) and cinnamon powder and spread is on a plate.
- Remove the edges of the bread slices and roll each of it thin using a rolling pin
- Divide the apple filling among the bread slices. Keep the filling in the center of the bread slices and roll it, bringing the opposite edges together. Give it a gentle press.
- Apply melted butter on all the bread rolls and roll it in the cinnamon sugar.
- Line the bread roll ups in a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 15 – 20 min till the top turns brown.
- If you do not want to bake, you can pan fry it too. For this, follow all steps till 6 as above. After that, add some butter to a pan and pan fry the rolls till they are golden brown and crispy on all sides. Take them off the heat and add it one by one to the cinnamon sugar and coat it on all sides.
- These Apple Roll Ups can be served hot, drizzled with some caramel sauce or chocolate sauce (Recipe Link: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/02/22/chocolate-ganache-sauce/) and also served with a scoop of ice-cream!