When we hear muffins, the first thing that comes to our mind is sweet muffins. But, savory muffins make a great breakfast as well as snack option. You can add vegetables and meat as per your choice and availability and flavour it the way you wish. You can load it up with cheese or keep it simple and heathier!
This recipe uses egg as the base ingredient and I have added broccoli and mushrooms to it. Somehow I just love this combo..;) But grated carrot, zucchini, green peas, chicken, red meat, salami, pepperoni bits, bacon – all these will go really well too. The choices are unlimited and you can also flavour it with sauces or marinades that you love.
Few things to keep in mind
- Vegetables: I prefer to saute all vegetables first before adding them to the muffin mix. Caramelized onions add a good flavour, so I like doing that too.
- Flavors: I have flavored these muffins with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and chilli flakes. Have also added jalepenos for an added punch. But you can replace these with other seasonings too.
- Onions – 1 medium, thinly sliced
- Broccoli – 150 gms, chopped small
- Mushrooms – 1 cup, chopped
- Eggs – 4
- Milk – 3 tbsp
- Cream – 3 tbsp
- Salt, Pepper and Italian Seasoning – as per taste
- Chopped Jalepenos and Chilli Flakes – as per taste
- Grated cheese – for topping, optional
Step by Step Process
- Preheat the oven at 180 C.
- In a pan, add a little oil and saute the onions till caramelized and brown in color. Sprinkle a little salt.
- Remove the onions and next add the broccoli. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and let it saute and cook for a while. Remove the broccoli once done.
- Next add the mushrooms without adding any oil first. Let the mushrooms release its water and let the water evaporate. Then drizzle a little oil and sprinkle some salt and saute the mushrooms for a couple of minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add in the milk and cream. Add some chopped jalepenos to this. Season with some salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and chilli flakes, as per taste.
- Place muffin liners in a muffin tray and first spoon in the vegetables into it. Next top it up with the milk and cream mixture.
- If you are using grated cheese, top the muffins with some cheese and then bake in a preheated oven at 180C till the muffins brown a little on top.
- Remove from the oven and serve it hot with a dip of your choice!
- These muffins are a good breakfast option as well as an in-between snack for kids.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!