Lemon and Poppy Seeds are paired together in many desserts. Poppy seeds add a nice crunch to the dish. This recipe of muffins is an eggless version and has a strong lemon flavour. I also use a lemon glaze which just adds up to the lemony flavour of these delicious muffins!
Few things to keep in mind
- Lemon Zest and Juice: Be careful when making lemon zest. Make sure that you do not use the white part under the yellow/green skin. That will make the whole batch tast bitter. Also, extract the lemon juice and zest, just before you start mixing the batter.
- Oil: You can use any neutral oil which doesn’t have a strong taste for these muffins.
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice – 1.5 tbsp
- Castor / Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
- Yoghurt – 3 tbsp
- Oil (any unflavored oil) – 4 tbsp
- Lemon zest – 1 tbsp
- Flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Poppy seeds – 4 tsp
- Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
For the glaze
- Powdered sugar – 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Lemon zest – 1 tsp
Step by Step Process
- In a mixing bowl, add the lemon juice to the milk first and let it sit for 5 min to curdle.
- To this, add the sugar, yoghurt, oil and lemon zest and milk well.
- Next add all the dry ingredients and mix till just combined. Make sure there are no dry streaks in the batter and take care not to over-mix.
- Pour into muffin trays and bake for 15-17 min at 180C. If your oven heat is uneven, turn around the tray after 10 min so that all muffins are evenly cooked. The top will change color and a skewer inserted will come clean.
- While the muffins are baking, make the glaze. Mix together the powdered sugar along with the lemon juice and lemon zest with a fork and keep it aside.
- Once muffins are baked, let it cool for a while. Drizzle the lemon glaze on top and serve!