I have adapted this Chicken Kurma recipe to the Keto style. However, its a delicious chicken preparation which is mildly spicy and pairs well with rice and rotis / breads. Since it is prepared keeping in mind the requirements of a Keto diet, it is high in proteins and fat and very low in carbs. This Chicken Korma pairs really well with Keto Cauliflower Fried Rice too..
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Ms. Teresa George, who is a the regional head of nutrition at HealthifyMe.
Few things to keep in mind
- Marination: Chicken when marinated overnight becomes really tender and soft. However, if you do not have so much time, you can marinate it for a couple of hours.
- Spice Levels: This is a mildly spicy curry. The spice levels are primarily from the green chillies. So you can increase or decrease the quantity of chilli in the recipe to adjust the spice levels.
- Chicken – 500 gms, boneless pieces, cut into small cubes
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
For the gravy
- Butter / Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, crushed
- Garlic – 4-5 pcs, crushed
- Onions – 1 small or 1/2 medium sized, chopped fine
- Tomato – 1 small or 1/2 medium sized, chopped fine
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2 small sized, chopped fine
- Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Leaves – a few, chopped
- Unsweetened thick curd – 1 tbsp
To grind into a thick paste
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 5-6 pcs
Step by Step Process
- Marinate the chicken in salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice overnight or for a couple of hours.
- Grind together grated coconut and cashews into a fine paste using a little water. Keep this aside.
- In a pan, add the butter/ghee. Once it is hot, add the crushed ginger and garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add the chopped onions and green chillies and fry till light brown in color.
- Next, add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are cooked well.
- Next, add the turmeric powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Let the spices cook well and then add the chicken pieces.
- Stir the chicken well so that it is coated with all the masala. Add some water and cover and cook for 5-7 min till the chicken is cooked and tender.
- Add the ground coconut and cashew paste and the yogurt and continue cooking over medium to high heat till the ground paste is cooked well and oil starts separating.
- Season with salt, as needed, garam masala powder and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with some Keto rice or Naan.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!