This is another recipe from my mom’s recipe book.. Oh yeah! She does have a treasure there in her recipe book..:) This is again a single bowl recipe and has a lovely lemony flavour. If you have all your ingredients ready, it will take less than 10 min to mix the cookie dough together. I generally don’t refrigerate the dough to make it more manageable to handle by hand. Instead just drop small portions with a spoon onto the baking tray. That gives an uneven top too which I love. After all, these are called Lemon Drop Cookies. And since baking time is also just about 15 min, it means that I have the cookies ready in less than 30 min from the time I start mixing the dough!!!
Few things to keep in mind
- Butter: Make sure the butter is at room temperature and soft. This will help when creaming together the butter and sugar.
- Sugar: I am using castor sugar in this recipe. If you don’t have that, you can use powdered sugar too.
- Lemon: If you do not like a strong lemon flavour, you can reduce the quantity of lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Butter, softened and at room temperature – 1/4 cup (about 60 gms)
- Castor Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 1
- Flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Lemon rind – 1/2 tbsp
Step by Step Process
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together till creamy.
- Add the eggs and whisk again.
- Next add the remaining ingredients – flour, baking powder, vanilla essence, salt, lemon juice and lemon rind and mix everything together. The dough will be very soft.
- To make the cookies, you can either put the dough into freezer for around 15 min, which will firm it up a little. And then you can make small balls out of it and place it at a little distance apart in the baking tray.
- The other option is to just spoon in small quantity of the cookie mix onto the baking tray at small distances and roughly shape it into a ball using the spoon itself. Two spoons can be used to drop and shape the mix.
- Bake this in a preheated oven at 180C for 15 min. The bottom will be a light brown and the top will be shiny.
- The cookies will be soft when you take it out of the oven, but they will firm up as they cool. These are not very hard cookies, instead are softer cookies.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!