Keto diet is followed by people all around the world – for weight loss as well as to address certain health concerns. It is basically a high-fat diet with the required amount of proteins and low on carbohydrates. This diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates for energy. And that is how it triggers excess fat burning and hence weight loss.
Cauliflower is one ingredient which is widely used in a Keto diet. It acts as a replacement for high carb food items like rice and potato, among other things. Cauliflower rice is a common food item had by those on Keto diet. The recipe I am sharing is a twist to that to make it into an Indo-Chinese fried rice.
This recipe was developed in collaboration with Ms. Teresa George, who is the regional head of nutrition at HealthifyMe.
Few things to keep in mind
- Cauliflower: The cauliflower has to be chopped into small pieces to resemble rice. It is best to do this using the chopper attachment of your mixie.
- Additional Ingredients: I have added an egg to this fried rice recipe. You can skip that to make it purely vegetarian. Alternatively, you can also add chicken or other meat of your choice to make it a non-vegetarian recipe.
- Butter/Ghee/Oil – 2 tbsp
- Eggs – 1
- Garlic – 3-4, finely chopped
- Spring Onion Whites – a few, chopped
- Cauliflower florets – About 300 gms
- Red (or green) Bell Peppers – 1/4 cup, diced
- Green Peas – 2 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1.5 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 2 tsp
- Green Chilli Sauce – 1 tsp
- Spring onion greens – a few, chopped
- Salt – as per taste
- Pepper – as per taste
Step by Step Process
- Grate the cauliflower florets or chop it in a chopper till it is of rice like size.
- In a pan, add a tbsp of butter/ghee. Once it is hot, break the egg and add to it.
- Season the egg with some salt and pepper and scramble it. Once done, remove it and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining butter and add the garlic cloves to it.
- Once fragrant, add the spring onion whites.
- Add the carrots, peas and cauliflower and stir it all well.
- Keep it covered for a couple of min till the vegetables are all cooked through, but still retain some crunchiness.
- Add the scrambled egg along with the vinegar, soya sauce and green chilli sauce and stir it all well.
- Season with salt and pepper as per taste and garnish with spring onions.