I love having sweet crepes for breakfast and savoury crepes for either lunch or dinner. Crepes make for a full meal when it is made with a filling. And with a filling of mushroom and sausages, it definitely is a full meal.
During our visit to Vietnam last year, we had across a street side vendor selling crepes just outside her house. Since it was right opposite the restaurant we were dining in, we had ordered a sweet crepe from her for tasting. But we couldn’t stop with just one. She had sweet as well as savoury options and we just sat there for more than an hour, enjoying our drink and watching her make those perfect crepes!
Few things to keep in mind
- Crepe Batter: The consistency of the crepe batter should not be very thick. It should have a good flowing consistency which makes it easier to spread thin. I use the pouring ladle itself to spread it thin, but if you do have the T shape crepe maker, please go ahead and use it to get those perfectly thin crepes!
- Sausages: I have used sausages along with mushrooms for the filling. But you can replace it with bacon bits or boneless chicken pieces too.
For the crepe
- Egg – 2
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Melted Butter – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup (if needed, adjust to get the right consistency)
For the filling
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 small, sliced thin
- Mushrooms – 200 gms, cut into quarters
- Sausages – 100 gms, cut into small size
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp (adjust as per taste)
- Salt and Pepper – adjust as per taste
- Grated Cheese – if needed, for filling and topping (can use mozzarella or pizza cheese or regular processed cheese cubes too)
Step by Step Process
- For the filling, heat the 1 tbsp of butter first in the pan.
- Once it melts, add the sliced onions. Fry the onions till golden brown.
- Add the cut mushrooms and sausages and stir fry on high heat till the mushrooms are partially cooked.
- Next, add the 2 tbsp of butter and let it melt.
- Add the flour and stir continuously.
- Add the milk slowly and continue to stir so that a thick sauce is formed.
- Add the chilli flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper as per taste.
- Add some grated cheese (if using) to the sauce and take it off heat and keep it aside.
- For the crepe batter, in a bowl, whisk together the eggs and then add the milk to it.
- Mix it well and add the melted butter.
- Add the flour and salt and mix it using a fork or a whisk so that there are no lumps in the batter.
- Add water as necessary to make a smooth batter of pourable consistency.
- Heat a flat pan and add a ladle full of the batter and spread it around evenly.
- Let it cook on low to medium heat till the top is cooked and edges start changing color to a golden brown.
- Spread a little of the filling on top and fold the crepe.
- You can sprinkle some grated cheese on the top of the filling too before folding. Grated cheese can also be sprinkled on top of the crepe at the time of serving.