Bread Rolls can be made in different ways. Filling bread slices with a potato stuffing and making it into rolls is just one of them. This recipe of mine is again something my mom used to make often as an evening snack when we were kids. Fried bread rolls were definitely a hit. I have just modified the original recipe a little bit and have also gone ahead and added a piece of cheese inside the potato stuffing. So you get a small cheesy surprise when you bite into these rolls!
Few things to keep in mind
- Bread: Make sure the bread you use is fresh. Stale bread will tend to break more. And in case it breaks, you can always use another slice of bread for the covering!
- Water: Be careful when soaking the bread in water. Just dip one side and carefully squeeze out the water.
- Filling: I have used a potato filling for this recipe and have kept it vegetarian. However, you can experiment with different other filling options too.
- Oil – 1-2 tsp
- Cumin – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic – 3-4, chopped fine
- Ginger – 1/4 inch pc, chopped fine
- Onion – 1 small, chopped fine
- Green Chilli – 1, chopped fine
- Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- Salt – 1/2-3/4 tsp
- Potatoes – 3, boiled and mashed
- Amchur (Dry Mango) Powder –1/2 tsp (optional)
- Coriander Leaves – a handful chopped
- Processed Cheese Cubes (or Mozarella Cheese Cubes) – 2 (each of about 25 gms)
- Bread Slices – 8
- Oil – for frying
Step by Step Process
- In a pan, add some oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds.
- Next, add the ginger and garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion and green chilli to this and fry it till the onions are translucent and start changing colour lightly.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Next, add the boiled and mashed potatoes and mix well and adjust the salt, if needed.
- Season with amchur powder and coriander leaves and take it off heat.
- Once the potato mixture is slightly cooled, divide it into 8 portions.
- Cut each cheese cube into 4 pieces each. If you do not have cheese cubes, you can also cut a cheese block into 8 cubes of small sizes. We will need a total of about 50 gms of cheese for this, divided into 8 portions / pieces. Put one cheese cube each into a potato portion and cover it properly with the potato mixture. Make it into a small smooth ball/roll and keep it aside.
- Cut the edges of the bread slices and keep it aside.
- In a flat plate, pour some water. Dip a bread slice into the water and quickly take it out and squeeze it between both your palms tightly. (Watch the video for better understanding on how this should be done)
- Place a potato ball mixture in the centre and wrap the bread all around it and make it into a ball / oval shape like a roll.
- Repeat this for the remaining bread slices. Heat oil in a pan and once hot, add the potato balls one by one into it and fry till golden brown all around.
- Serve hot with a side of ketchup or chutney as the cheese inside will be melted and gooey.
[…] should also check out the recipe for Tuna Cutlets, Potato Bread Rolls and these Sweet and Sour Samosas – all these make for some great snack options when you have […]