When I posted the recipe for honey chilli potatoes sometime back, I had many people trying it out and giving me a very positive response. So obviously, I was tempted to try out the recipe with chicken too. Chicken definitely needed some tweaks, but the result was once again delicious. So then the obvious next step was to share this recipe too with all of you…:) Hope you all try this out too and let me know your feedback!
Few things to keep in mind
- Frying the chicken: Though we are coating the chicken and frying, there is a chance for the chicken to become tough. So make sure you don’t fry it on low flame for too long. Since the chicken is cut into thin strips for this recipe, it will cook fast. So best will be to fry it on medium to high flame and take it off heat as soon as the coating turns slightly brown.
- Quantity of Sauce: The sauce is enough to coat the chicken pieces. However, if you prefer to have more sauce in the final dish, you can increase the ingredients for the sauce and make as well.
- Chicken – 500 gms, cut into thin slices
- Oil for frying
For the Marination
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
- Corn Flour – ¼ cup
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Sauce / Paste – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – ½ tbsp
- Water – enough to make a thick coating
For the Sauce
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 5-6 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger – ¼ inch piece, finely chopped
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
- White Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp, toasted
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 2 tsp
- Tomato Ketchup – 1+1/2 tbsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli Paste / Sauce – 2 tsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Cornflour – 1 tbsp (to make a slurry), optional
- Spring Onion Greens – 2 tbsp
Step by Step Process
- Add all the ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl and add a little water to make a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, enough for deep frying the chicken
- Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade and fry them in the hot oil till golden brown.
- Take a small bowl and add the vinegar, soya sauce, tomato ketchup, honey and red chilli paste in it and mix together. This will be the sauce for the honey chilli chicken.
- In a pan, heat a little oil and add the ginger and garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Next add the sauce into this and let it come to a boil.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and toss it around till well coated.
- If you need the sauce to thicken up further, mix the cornflour and water and add to the sauce.
- Add the red chilli flakes and finally sprinkle some sesame seeds and garnish with spring onions.
- This can be served as-is like a starter or along with a side of rice!
[…] this Chicken Fried Rice with this Chilli Chicken. My Honey Chilli Chicken recipe also pairs beautifully with this Chicken Fried […]
[…] have had some great feedback for the Honey Chilli Potatoes and Honey Chilli Chicken that I had posted a while ago. Sweet and Sour Chicken will also tickle similar taste buds for you, […]