When there are over-ripe bananas at home, and nobody wants to touch them – leave alone eating them – Banana Bread seems to be one of the easiest things you can make with them. It is a single bowl recipe and doesn’t need a lot of ingredients. Bananas and walnuts make a good pair, hence I do add walnuts for an extra crunch to this bread. However, you are free to skip them or replace them with another nut of your choice too. In case you didn’t know, Banana bread becomes softer and tastier the next day. But most of the time, we are left with just half or sometimes even lesser than that by the next day..:)
Things to keep in mind
- Bananas: Over ripe bananas work best for this recipe. They become really soft upon mashing and are sweeter too. It also adds extra moisture to the bread. I have used medium sized robusta bananas for my recipe.
- Oil: I have used oil for this recipe. However, you can replace it with the same quantity of melted butter.
- Sugar: I prefer using castor sugar for my baking recipes as those incorporate properly in the batter. You can pulse regular granulated sugar in a mixer till the particles are smaller but not powdered either.
- Walnuts: I have used walnuts in this recipe. They go well with the flavour of bananas. However, if you don’t have walnuts or do not like the taste, you can either skip it completely or replace it with any other nuts too.
- Ripe Bananas – 2 – See Recipe Notes above
- Egg – 1
- Oil – 1/3 cup (80 ml) – See Recipe Notes above
- Sugar – ½ cup (100 gms) – See Recipe Notes above
- Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
- All Purpose Flour – ¾ cup (100 gms)
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Chopped Walnuts – ¼ cup (30 gms) – See Recipe Notes above
Step by Step Process
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C.
- Line a loaf tin or a 6 inch square tin with parchment paper or grease it with oil and dust with some all purpose flour.
- Mash the bananas well with a fork in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla essence and beat everything on medium speed till well combined.
- Mix together the baking powder, baking soda, salt and nuts into the flour and add this to the batter and mix till combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 180 deg C.
- It usually takes around 35 min to bake fully. After 25 min, check if the top has a nice golden brown color. If so, open the oven and insert a skewer and check. If the skewer comes out clean, then the bread is done. Else bake for another couple of minutes till done.
- Let it cool completely before slicing. The bread tastes best the following day. Enjoy!
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!