This is one starter which we all love to order when we dine out, especially if we are in a group of vegetarians and non-vegetarians. And bet you, it’s equally loved by all. I never thought it was easy to make till I decided to give it a try. The main thing to nail was on how to get the crunchy texture for the potatoes. Once that was sorted, everything else was a breeze..:)
Few things to keep in mind
- Washing of potatoes: The potatoes have to be washed thoroughly a couple of times in cold water to remove maximum starch possible. It should be washed till the water is clear. This will result in crunchier potatoes and prevent them from becoming soggy after a while.
- Frying: In the first round of frying, we are looking at half cooking the potatoes. So they should form a skin, but not turn brown. During the second round of frying, let them fry till golden brown. Both times, add the potatoes one by one and not together to prevent them from sticking together.
- Potatoes – 3 medium, peeled and cut into similar size potato fingers
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Corn Flour – 2 tbsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves, finely chopped
- Salt – ½ tsp
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp (might not need the full amount if there is leftover marination from 1st step)
- Corn Flour – 2 tbsp (might not need the full amount if there is leftover marination from 1st step)
- Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Red Chilli Paste – 2 tsp
- Water – 2 -3 tbsp
For the Sauce
- White sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 5 – 6 cloves, finely chopped
- Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 1 tsp
- Tomato Ketchup – 1 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Paste – 1 tsp
- Corn Flour – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Spring onion greens for garnishing
- Cooking Oil
Step by Step Process
- Take similar size potatoes and peel them. Wash them in water before cutting them into roughly similar size potato fingers.
- Put the potato fingers in cold water and wash them. Drain it and repeat this 2 – 3 times with cold water, till the water is clear. This removes the extra starch from the potatoes. Drain the water and leave the potatoes between two kitchen towels to remove all excess water.
- Mix together the ingredients of the first marination in a bowl and toss the potatoes in it till the dry coating covers the potatoes evenly.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep dry the potatoes in 2 batches till the outside seems cooked but doesn’t change much color. In this round of frying, we need the potatoes only half cooked. When adding the potatoes, add them one by one, so that they don’t stick to one another.
- Remove the fried potatoes onto a kitchen tissue to drain the excess oil and let it cool.
- In the same bowl that you prepared the first marination, if there is still some marination left, then add only enough of flour and corn flour so that there is a total of about 4 tbsp of the dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and just enough water to make it into a thick paste.
- Coat the fried and cooled potatoes to this and coat well.
- Heat the oil again and add the coated potatoes again to the hot oil one by one. This time let it fry till golden brown.
- Once done, remove it onto a kitchen tissue to remove the excess oil.
- In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the sauce – Red chilli flakes, Vinegar, Soya Sauce, Tomato Ketchup, Honey and Red Chilli Paste – and mix it all well. Keep this aside.
- Heat a pan and add the sesame seeds to this and dry toast it. Keep it separate.
- Into the same pan, add a little bit of oil (you can use the same oil that was used for frying) and saute the garlic till fragrant.
- Add the sauce mix to this and let it simmer.
- Mix the cornflour and water and add the slurry to the sauce. Let it come to a boil so that it thickens.
- Add the fried potatoes to this and toss it around so that the sauce coats the potatoes completely.
- Finally add the sesame sees and give a quick stir.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!