My son loves red sauce pasta whereas white sauce pasta is my daughter’s favourite. But when it comes to spaghetti, both of them vote for red sauce. If I make it for dinner, generally kids prefer taking it for lunch to school as well the following day. So that definitely makes things a little easy!!
Few things to keep in mind
- Prepare ahead: Pasta is one recipe where the sauce can be prepared ahead and the pasta can be boiled and kept as well. So at the time of serving, all that needs to be done is to mix it all together and adjust any seasonings required and may be top it up with some cheese!
- Cooking of pasta: The pasta has to be cooked al dente. This means that when it should be cooked, but still be firm. It should not be cooked to the extent that the pasta starts breaking when you mix it.
- Spaghetti Pasta – 250 gms, cooked till done
- Minced Chicken – 500 gms
- Onions – 3 medium size, finely chopped
- Garlic – 5–6 cloves, finely chopped
- Tomato Puree – 400 gms
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pepper – ½ tsp
- Italian Seasoning – ½ tbsp
- Chilli Flakes – ½ tbsp
- Basil Leaves – few, chopped
- Grated Cheese – As required
- Olive Oil
Step by Step Process
- Boil the pasta in enough water as per the directions given on the packet. Add some olive oil and salt while boiling. Once cooked, drain the water and run some cold water through the cooked pasta, to prevent over cooking in the residual heat. Toss the boiled and drained pasta in some olive oil and keep it aside
- Add olive oil in a pan and fry the garlic till fragrant.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till translucent
- Add the tomato puree, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 10 min till the raw smell of tomatoes is no longer there.
- Add the minced chicken and cook covered for 5 – 7 min
- Season with pasta seasoning, chilli flakes and basil leaves and mix thoroughly.
- Add the boiled spaghetti and toss it in the sauce till well coated
- Top with some grated cheese and serve while hot