Lagan Nu Custard translates to “wedding custard”. This is a Parsi dish prepared during weddings. It doesn’t require too many ingredients, but does take some time for the milk to be reduced. But the wait it really worth it.
I first had this dessert at a friend’s place and had loved it. So when I was planning out the shoot for my recipes, decided to invite my friend over to prepare this dish with me. She is used to prepare this dish in large quantities, so I had to do a trial with her first to make sure the recipe works well for a smaller quantity as well.
Few things to keep in mind
- Reducing milk: This is probably the most time consuming process in this whole recipe. The milk has to be reduced to about 1/3rd the quantity. The milk turns sticky and ivory in color at this stage. And it is important to continuously stir the milk so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the sauce pan or burn.
- Baking process: During my first trial, I had baked this in ceramic ramekins and it got over-baked. Second time around, baked it in a glass dish (pyrex dish) and with that, could see how the custard was looking from the side which made it easier to take it out when it was just time. The top has to be caramelized a little and the sides have tiny bubble all around.
- Full Cream Milk – 1 litre
- Condensed Milk – 75 gms (¼ cup)
- Sugar – 100 gms (½ cup)
- Eggs – 3-4 (depending on size)
- Nutmeg and cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
- Boiled and Sliced Almonds – 6-7
- Boiled and Sliced Pistachios – 6-7
- Butter – for greasing the dish
Step by Step Process
- Bring the milk to a boil in a large heavy bottomed pan. Remove from fire and stir in the condensed milk and sugar and cook over a low heat. Add another 2 – 3 tbsp of sugar, if you feel the custard tastes less sweet. Continue stirring and cooking till the milk turns sticky and ivory in color. Remove from fire and cool.
- Grease an 8-inch glass dish or ramekin bowls with butter. Preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
- Beat the eggs till frothy and stir into the cooled milk. Add the nutmeg and cardamom powder and the vanilla essence and mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared dish and bake in the preheated oven at 200 deg C till the top is golden brown. (See Recipe Notes)
- Remove from oven and top it with the sliced nuts and pop it back into the oven and switch off.
- Chill and serve, preferably the next day.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!