Sabudana (sago / tapioca pearls) Khichidi is a very typical Indian recipe prepared during fasting times. I like eating this as a breakfast and hence make it once in a while for the family. It isn’t a spicy dish and neither is it very heavy. So makes a good evening snack recipe too.
One of the main challenges I always used to face while making Sabudana Khichidi was that the final dish used to end up being quite sticky. I finally figured out the secret of getting a non-sticky dish was in how the sabudana was soaked in the first place. So do read the recipe notes I am sharing here to make sure that you never have to deal with a sticky sabudana khichidi!!
Few things to keep in mind
- Soaking of Sabudana Pearls: Sabudana needs to be soaked for atleast 5 – 6 hours or overnight before making this recipe. For soaking, take a plate or a flat bottom dish which is large enough such that when you put the sabudana in it, it can spread out in almost a single layer. To this, add just enough water to cover the sabudana layer. Leave it covered overnight or for atleast 5 – 6 hours till all the water is soaked and the sabudana has grown in size and is soft. You will be able to squeeze the sabudana between your fingers once it is soaked well.
- Peanuts: Roast peanuts and remove the skin and keep it ready for the recipe.
- Sabudana (Sago / Tapioca Pearls) – 200 gms
- Roasted peanuts (skinless) – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – ¼ tsp
- Ginger – ¼ inch piece, chopped fine
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2, chopped fine
- Curry leaves – a few
- Potato – Small size, cut into small cubes
- Oil / Ghee
- Lemon (Optional)
Step by Step Process
- Soak the sabudana in just enough water for 5 – 6 hours or overnight. (See Recipe Notes above for details)
- Crush the roasted peanuts coarsely. Make sure it doesn’t become a powder.
- Add the crushed peanuts, salt and sugar to the soaked sabudana and mix it thoroughly. Keep this aside.
- In a pan, heat a little oil/ghee. Add cumin seeds to the hot oil. Add the chopped ginger, green chillies and curry leaves to this and let it cook.
- Add the potato cubes and fry it till its cooked. A pinch of salt can be added at this stage to season the potatoes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, add the sabudana mix and stir well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 5 – 7 min. The sabudana pearls will become mostly translucent when its cooked fully. If needed, sprinkle a little water and mix and let it cook covered for another 2 min. Add more salt, if needed. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice, if preferred.
- Serve hot.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!