Pizzas are a comfort food for many. So it makes sense to have the pizza sauce ready in your refrigerator to make a quick pizza when you really can’t think of anything else to make…:) And you can use it to make a bread pizza or a regular pizza. The easiest would be to put this sauce on a piece of bread, top it with some cheese and bake it for a couple of minutes – and there you have a snack done in under 10 minutes!! Why buy a bottle of pizza sauce when it is actually so easy to make at home…
Few things to keep in mind
- Tomato Puree: You can make use of the store bought tomato puree if you don’t have time to make it at home. If you are making it at home, blanch a couple of tomatoes in hot water for a couple of minutes and then put them in ice cold water. This will help in easily removing the skin of the tomatoes. Then puree them in a blender and pass them through a sieve to make your homemade tomato puree.
- Fresh Basil Leaves: It is best to use fresh basil leaves in the pizza sauce, however if you don’t have that, you can increase the quantity of Italian seasoning in the recipe and adjust that as per taste.
- Onion – 1, chopped fine
- Garlic – 5-6 cloves, chopped fine
- Tomatoes – 2 medium size, chopped fine
- Tomato Puree – 200 gms
- Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1 tsp
- Basil Leaves – a handful, chopped
- Olive Oil
Step by Step Process
- In a pan, add the olive oil and the garlic and let the garlic fry till fragrant
- Add the chopped onions and fry till golden brown
- Next, add the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes are half cooked
- Add in the tomato puree along with some salt and cook till the raw smell of the tomatoes and tomato puree is no longer there and everything is cooked and blended fully
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper and any more salt, as needed, along with the basil leaves and let it cook for 2 min
- Turn off the heat and let it cool completely. The pizza sauce has a thick consistency.