This is one of those recipes which you can prepare really quickly and doesn’t really need too much of pre-preparation. It can be eaten with a side dish or with just a plain curd based salad also (raita). It also makes for a good lunch box meal for kids and adults alike.
Few things to keep in mind
- Soaking of Rice: I generally use basmati rice for this preparation. Any other long grained rice can be used as well. The rice has to be thoroughly washed and then soaked for 30 min. If you are running short of time, you can soak it in hot water for 15 min. So the rice can be soaked first and by the time you have done sauteing of the rest of the ingredients, rice will be ready to be added.
- Green Peas: You can use frozen or fresh green peas for this recipe.
- Basmati or any long-grained rice – 1 cup
- Hot Water – 1 ½ cups
- Coconut milk – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Cloves – 2 – 3 nos
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Star anise – 1
- Peppercorn – 5-6
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 1, slit
- Peas – ½ cup
- Cashews – 8 – 10 nos
- Salt – as per taste
- Mint / Coriander leaves – for garnish
Step by Step Process
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 min. Else soak in hot water for 15 min. (See Recipe Notes above)
- Heat ghee in a pan or pressure cooker. Fry the cashews in the ghee and set them aside when brown.
- Add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom and star anise to the ghee and saute till fragrant. Take care not to burn the spices.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and green chillies and fry till fragrant.
- Add the rice and fry for 2 min. Add the peas to this.
- Next, add the hot water, coconut milk and salt to the rice and mix well.
- Let it pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once done, fluff up the rice with a fork. Garnish with fried cashes and mint/coriander leaves and serve.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!