After 40 days of prayers, fasting and abstinence, Christians all around the world gear up for Easter. Festivals and food go hand in hand. Presenting my Easter special recipe – Scotch Eggs, made the Indian way. Growing up as a child, mom use to make these scotch eggs for special occasions. There are plenty of ways of cooking Scotch eggs. There is one way where the yellow centre of the eggs is preferred to be runny, whereas there are other recipes which call for hard boiled eggs. I have always had it with hard boiled eggs, so that is what scotch eggs mean to me!!
Scotch Eggs is a hot favourite with my kids. Both of them love the meat cutlets that their grandmoms make for them. And when they are at my place, my mom makes these scotch eggs using quail eggs for them with the same cutlet mixture. Needless to say, all the quail eggs don’t end up inside the scotch eggs. Some travel directly into the little tummies..😜 I am sure these memories they create when they are around their grand parents will be held close to them through their life. Both my kids have been fortunate enough to be able to spend a good amount of time with their grandparents.
So the recipe I am sharing with you today is how my mom makes it and how I have had it all my life. Hope you like this as much as my family does.
Wishing you all a happy, safe and blessed Easter!
Scotch EggsCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Easy
Indian Style Scotch Eggs Recipe – makes for a great starter option.
Chicken – 250 gms, boiled and minced
Oil – 2-3 tsp
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Green Chilli – 1-2, finely chopped
Ginger – ¼ inch piece, finely chopped
Curry Leaves – 8-10, finely chopped
Salt – as per taste
Pepper Powder – ½ tsp + ¼ tsp
Garam masala – ½ tsp
Cardamon Powder – ¼-½ tsp
Potato – 2 medium, boiled and mashed
Eggs – 6 (or replace with a larger number of quail eggs or a mix of both), boiled and peeled
Oil – for frying
Egg – 1, for coating
Bread crumbs – enough to coat the scotch eggs
Step by Step Process
- Cook the chicken with salt and then mince and keep it aside.
- Boil the potatoes and mash them well and keep them aside.
- In a pan, add a little oil and add the chopped onions along with the green chili, ginger, and curry leaves. Saute it till it starts changing color.
- Add the minced chicken and mix well. Add salt and ½ tsp of pepper powder, garam masala, and ½ tsp of cardamom powder.
- Next, add the mashed potatoes and mix well. Finally, season with salt if needed and add the remaining ¼ tsp of pepper powder and cardamom powder. This mix should be soft enough to be able to make smooth balls.
- Take some of the chicken mixes and flatten them. Put one boiled egg in the center and cover it all around properly with the chicken mix.
- Make into a smooth oval shape like an egg.
- Repeat this for all the eggs. Beat an egg lightly.
- Coat all the scotch eggs in this egg mixture and then cover them in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the scotch eggs on medium heat till they are golden brown.