Salads are a full meal for many of us. They can be made in an extremely healthy manner as well as with dressings which could be high in fat. I always feel that any salad recipe is actually an idea shared – an idea of a dressing that can be used with different ingredients. If I don’t have the ingredients given in a salad recipe, then I either try and substitute it if possible or skip it..:)
Potato and Egg salad is something I have had multiple times in restaurants, but have never attempted making it at home. I knew it wasn’t really a difficult affair. So when I was planning a few salad recipes for this month, it struck me that I should try this out. All recipes called for mayonnaise, and I wanted to avoid that. So I tried making some changes to the original recipe and found that it really tasted nice and I didn’t miss the mayonnaise in the dressing. I am using greek yoghurt in this recipe, since it is thick and creamy. In case you don’t have greek yoghurt, you can try it out with hung curd too – though overall the sourness in the recipe will be higher.
Potato and Egg SaladCourse: SaladsDifficulty: Easy
A healthy variant of a delicious potato and egg salad!
- Salad Dressing
Greek Yoghurt – 3 tbsp
Sweet Pickle Relish – 3 tbsp
Yellow Mustard – 1 tsp
Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 tsp
Honey – 1 tsp
Chilli Flakes – ¼ tsp
Salt and Pepper – as per taste
- Salad Ingredients
Potatoes – 200 gms, use old potatoes if available
Eggs – 2, hard boiled, peeled and chopped
Celery – a small piece, chopped
Spring onion whites – 3-4, chopped
Dill Leaves – a few
- Wash the potatoes well and boil them with a little salt till soft. Peel and cut into cubes.
- In a bowl, add the Greek yoghurt, sweet pickle relish, mustard, vinegar, honey and chili flakes and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to this as needed.
- Next, add the boiled potatoes and mix well till the potatoes are well coated with the dressing.
- To this you can now add the eggs, celery, spring onion whites and dill leaves and mix well.
- Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Refrigerate this salad for atleast 4 hours or even for a day so that the flavours are all well blended together.
- This is usually served as a cold salad. It usually tastes better a day later as all the flavours of the dressing and the salad ingredients come together well