I just can’t resist sweets. It becomes extremely difficult for me to avoid eating sweets. So people like me, who have a major sweet tooth, also need some healthy alternatives for sweets. When we talk about eating healthy and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, the first thing that we hear we should avoid are sweets. But sweets always needn’t be loaded with calories and refined sugar. There a lot of recipes you will find which use better alternatives to sugar to sweeten the dish. And this oats kheer is one such recipe – it packs all the macro nutrients needed by your body in the right amount.
This recipe has been curated by Parina Midha, founder of Neiki.in. She certified in Personal Training from National Academy of Sports Medicine. With the the motto ‘Give More. Get More’, she designed NEIKI, her fitness program, wherein she strives to reduce injury risk and prepare our bodies to bear the impact they need to. On this excursion, her endeavour is to help people stand upright – physically and mentally.
It is not just recipes that Parina is sharing with us – it is a lot of other information too. Head over to my YouTube channel to see all that we discuss around food and nutrition! Cheers to a balanced and healthy start to 2021..:)
Oats KheerCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
A healthy dessert with no added sugar for those with a sweet-tooth!
Steel Cut Oats – 50 gms
Milk – 170 ml
Cardamom – 3, powdered
Almonds – 5 gms
Cashews – 5 gms
Raisins – 5 gms
Pistachios – 5 gms
Whey Protein Powder – 25 gms (Salted Caramel flavour works well for this recipe)
Apple slices – for garnish
Step by Step Process
- Soak the steel cut oats in water overnight. Do not drain the water.
- In a pan, add the oats, powdered cardamom and milk and let this cook on low heat for 5-7 min.
- Keep stirring at short intervals.
- Next, add the chopped almonds and cashews and stir. Cook this for another 4-5 min.
- Next add the raisins and pistachios and stir properly. Turn off the heat at this stage.
- Finally, add the whey protein powder and stir well. Why protein doesn’t need any cooking, hence add it after turning off the heat. Also, it could makes lumps if added while the cooking is still happening. See my recipe notes below about whey protein.
- Serve this kheer garnished with some apple slices.
- Whey Protein Powder: We have used the caramel flavour for the whey protein powder for this recipe. You can use any flavour as per your preference. Whey protein doesn’t need any cooking. So if you are not using the entire quantity of kheer prepared immediately, then it’s better to add it whenever you are consuming it rather than adding it and then reheating.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories151
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Total Carbohydrate
- Protein 11g 22%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.