When we look for crepe recipes, we don’t come across eggless recipes very often. This Spinach crepe is my go-to recipe when I want to make eggless crepes. Being eggless, the crepes are really soft and have to be cooked on a low heat to avoid breakage.
These crepes with a bright green color and the mushroom filling not just pretty but are very tasty too!
Few things to keep in mind
- Preparing the batter: The batter for these crepes are made by blending all the ingredients together in a blender. Be careful when adding water to the batter. Just add enough to get the right consistency.
- Filling: I have used spinach and mushrooms for the filling, however you can skip the spinach and add some other vegetables too like broccoli, bell peppers etc.
- Cooking the crepes: Take care to cook the crepes on a low heat and then fold it. That will prevent the crepes from breaking.
For the crepes
- Spinach – 100 gms
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Water – 2–4 tbsp, as needed to adjust consistency
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1/2 cup
- Cornflour – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
For the filling
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, sliced thin
- Onion – 1 small, sliced thin
- Mushrooms – 200 gms, sliced thin
- Spinach – 100 gms, chopped coarsely
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Chilli Flakes – as per taste
- Italian Seasoning – as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Pepper – as per taste
- Cheese Cube – 1, grated
Step by Step Process
- In a blender jar, add the spinach, milk and oil and blend it well.
- Add the flour, corn flour, salt, garlic powder and baking powder and blend again.
- Add 2 tbsp of water first and then add more, if needed, to adjust the batter to a pourable consistency, but not very thin. Let the batter sit aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a pan, add 1/2 tbsp of butter and once it melts, add the garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the onions and cook till translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach to this and cook for 3 – 4 min till the vegetables release water and are cooked half way through.
- Add the remaining butter at this stage and then add the flour and mix well. Use a whisk and continue whisking as you slowly add the milk.
- The filling will start thickening. Add all the seasonings and finally the grated cheese. Take it off heat and keep it aside.
- To prepare the crepes, heat a pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a ladle full of batter and spread it evenly and thin onto the pan.
- Once the crepe cooks, it slowly starts to brown from the sides and lifts off the pan. The top will also be cooked by this time.
- Add the filling and fold the crepes. Alternatively you can also take the crepe off the pan and add the filling later. Serve hot!