When we look for crepe recipes, we don’t come across eggless recipes very often. This Spinach crepe is my go-to recipe when I want to make eggless crepes. Being eggless, the crepes are really soft and have to be cooked on a low heat to avoid breakage.
These crepes with a bright green color and the mushroom filling not just pretty but are very tasty too!
Few things to keep in mind
- Preparing the batter: The batter for these crepes are made by blending all the ingredients together in a blender. Be careful when adding water to the batter. Just add enough to get the right consistency.
- Filling: I have used spinach and mushrooms for the filling, however you can skip the spinach and add some other vegetables too like broccoli, bell peppers etc.
- Cooking the crepes: Take care to cook the crepes on a low heat and then fold it. That will prevent the crepes from breaking.
For the crepes
- Spinach – 100 gms
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Water – 2–4 tbsp, as needed to adjust consistency
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1/2 cup
- Cornflour – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
For the filling
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, sliced thin
- Onion – 1 small, sliced thin
- Mushrooms – 200 gms, sliced thin
- Spinach – 100 gms, chopped coarsely
- All Purpose Flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 3/4 cup
- Chilli Flakes – as per taste
- Italian Seasoning – as per taste
- Salt – as per taste
- Pepper – as per taste
- Cheese Cube – 1, grated
Step by Step Process
- In a blender jar, add the spinach, milk and oil and blend it well.
- Add the flour, corn flour, salt, garlic powder and baking powder and blend again.
- Add 2 tbsp of water first and then add more, if needed, to adjust the batter to a pourable consistency, but not very thin. Let the batter sit aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a pan, add 1/2 tbsp of butter and once it melts, add the garlic.
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the onions and cook till translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach to this and cook for 3 – 4 min till the vegetables release water and are cooked half way through.
- Add the remaining butter at this stage and then add the flour and mix well. Use a whisk and continue whisking as you slowly add the milk.
- The filling will start thickening. Add all the seasonings and finally the grated cheese. Take it off heat and keep it aside.
- To prepare the crepes, heat a pan on medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a ladle full of batter and spread it evenly and thin onto the pan.
- Once the crepe cooks, it slowly starts to brown from the sides and lifts off the pan. The top will also be cooked by this time.
- Add the filling and fold the crepes. Alternatively you can also take the crepe off the pan and add the filling later. Serve hot!
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!