French Toast is one breakfast that has so many different variants. You can have a simple french toast with just a drizzle of honey or maple syrup or really dress it up too – options are unlimited or I would say sky is the limit..:)
Before COVID-19 wrecked havoc in our lives and turned all our daily schedules upside down, we used to have a regular Sunday routine of having breakfast at a restaurant called Egg Factory. It was all about eggs here. And among some of the other regular items we ordered, our favorite one was this French Toast which had a hint of coconut flavour and was topped with caramelized bananas. It was just awesome!
So when lock-down started and we were missing these French Toasts, I decided to try out my own version. The ones we had in Egg Factory used to have two slices of bread which were sandwiched together with some grated coconut and banana slices in between, then dipped in the french toast batter and cooked. And finally topped with caramelized bananas. I made some small changes to this and everyone in the family loved these!
Few things to keep in mind
- Coconut Milk: I have used readily available coconut milk which comes in tetra packs. Now if you do not want the flavour of coconut milk, you can replace it with any other dairy or non-dairy milk of your choice too. You can also use coconut milk prepared using coconut milk powder.
- Bananas: I am using robusta bananas which is readily available here. They should be ripe, yet firm, so that they dont become very gooey during cooking. You can also sandwich some fresh banana slices between two slices of bread for an extra flavor.
For the batter
- Egg – 1
- Coconut Milk – 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Vanilla Essence – ¼ tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Butter – for toasting
- Bread – 6-8 slices
For the topping
- Banana – 1, sliced into round pieces
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Essence – ½ tsp
- Grated fresh or dry coconut flakes
- Icing sugar
Step by Step Process
- To prepare the batter for French Toast, whisk the egg along with coconut milk, sugar, vanilla essence and salt.
- Heat a pan and add some butter to it.
- Dip the bread slices into the batter and and place it on the hot pan. Let it toast till a golden brown color is there on both sides.
- To make the topping, add sugar to a hot pan and let it start melting.
- As it starts melting, add the butter to it and whisk it well.
- Add the vanilla essence and then the banana slices. Let the banana be coated with the caramelized sugar fully well and then remove it and keep it aside.
- To assemble, arrange the French toast on a plate, top it up with the banana topping and sprinkle with the coconut flakes and some icing sugar.
- This tastes best when served hot! You can always add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice-cream to it too..;)
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!