If you have ever been to Barbeque Nation in India, you would have definitely come across this starter item called Cajun Potatoes. These are crunchy baby potatoes, flattened and topped with a yummy cajun sauce. I have always loved these and would never mind taking additional helpings!
This is not a very difficult to make starter item and I am sure it will be a hit at your next party. Sometimes when I don’t find baby potatoes, I go to the store and pick and choose the smallest size of potatoes available. Though I have pan fried the potatoes in this recipe am sharing, I have also made these by baking in the oven. And I am pretty sure it will turn out well in an air-fryer too.
Things to keep in mind
- Baby Potatoes: Make sure you clean the skin of the baby potatoes really well, since we will not be removing the skin for this recipe. The skin gives the required crunch and at the same time, the potatoes don’t turn dry too.
- Mayonnaise: You can use any mayonnaise you like for this. I find my eggless mayonnaise very easy and quick to make, hence I usually prefer using that. (Recipe: https://foodtokwithsherin.wordpress.com/2020/03/28/eggless-mayonnaise/)
- Baby potatoes – 250 gms
- Corn Flour – 2 tbsp
For the Sauce
- Mayonnaise – ¼ cup
- Tomato Ketchup – 1 tsp
- Cajun Spice – 1-1.5 tbsp (adjust as per taste)
- Milk – 1-2 tsp (optional, to adjust consistency)
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – a few sprigs, chopped fine
Step by Step Process
- Boil the baby potatoes for a single pressure so that they don’t overcook. Make sure the skin is properly scrubbed and cleaned as we will not be removing the skin.
- Prepare the sauce and keep it ready. Add all the ingredients for sauce and adjust it to a pouring consistency by adding milk, as necessary. Add part of the chopped onions and coriander leaves into the sauce and keep the rest aside for garnishing.
- Flatten the potatoes with a flat spoon or a glass. Coat them in cornflour and pan fry them on medium hot, till crispy.
- Remove the potatoes into a serving plate and top it up with the sauce.
- If potatoes are fried earlier, then they can be kept in a pre-heated oven at a minimum temperature to keep them warm and crunchy.