Overnight Soaked Oats is a very easy to make breakfast option, which has some amazing benefits when it comes to weight loss. But even if you are not looking at loosing weight, this is still a great breakfast as well as mid day snack option. Many of us may already be making this at home, but by understanding how this benefits our body, I am sure you will include it more often in your daily routine!
The recipe for this healthy breakfast option was shared by Anupama Menon (Food Coach and Nutritionist) and her team at Right Living, which is a health solutions firm based in Bangalore. You can get in touch with Anupama for your corporate as well as personal health goals through her instagram page https://www.instagram.com/iamanupamamenon.
Things to keep in mind
- Oats: Oats is rich in starch and when refrigerated overnight, it turns into resistant starch (RS). This RS is rich in fibre, thereby reducing our appetite and accentuating fat loss. It also helps improve gut microbes, thereby supporting further with better nutrient absorption, improved metabolism and faster calorie burning in the body.
- Milk: Milk is an excellent source of proteins and is packed with nutrients like Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Vitamins. To make it a vegan recipe, you can use any nut milk for this as well.
- Nuts and Seeds: Nuts and seeds are rich in good fats and are a good source of protein. They help in building up the right kind of fat in the body by replacing bad fat.
- Oats – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup (Or any nut milk to make it vegan)
- Cut fresh fruits like berries, apple, kiwi, pomegranate, mango
- A mix of seeds like sunflower seeds, watermelon seeds and pumpkin seeds
- Chopped dry fruits like almonds
- Mix oats and milk in a glass jar and place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Next morning, remove from the refrigerator and top it up with freshly cut fruits, berries, seeds and dry fruits before consuming.
- If your aim is weight loss, avoid adding a sweetener. Adding some fruits to this in place of sugar or other sweeteners will further help increase the fibre and decrease empty calories intake.
- It can be consumed anytime during the day, if refrigerated for a good 6-8 hours.