If you ask me what’s my favorite vegetable, without blinking I would say potatoes. I like it in any form and love adding it to my curries to. This recipe of Jeera Aloo is from the North Indian Cuisine and is very quick to make. It is a perfect accompaniment with some rice or rotis.
Few things to keep in mind
- Potatoes: Make sure you don’t over boil the potatoes such that they become mushy. They should be cooked through and should still retain their shape.
- Asafoetida: Try not to skip this. This is added to the ghee first as it flavors the ghee, hence enhancing the taste of the dish.
- Ghee: I have used ghee / clarified butter for this recipe as that makes a difference to the final taste of the dish. However, if you are not comfortable using ghee, then you can replace it fully with any other cooking oil of your choice or replace half of it with oil and using only half the quantity of ghee.
- Potatoes – 3 medium size, boiled and peeled
- Ghee – 1/2 to 1 tbsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/8 tsp
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1/4 inch piece, chopped fine
- Green Chilli – 1, chopped fine
- Turmeric – 1/8 tsp
- Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2-3/4 tsp
- Amchur (Dry Mango) Powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Coriander Leaves – a few sprigs, chopped
Step by Step Process
- In a kadai or a pan, heat a little ghee. If you don’t wish to use ghee, you can replace it fully or half with cooking oil. But ghee definitely enhances the taste of this dish.
- Once the ghee is hot, add the asafoetida (hing) and give it a quick stir.
- Next, add the cumin seeds or jeera and let it splutter in the hot ghee.
- Add the ginger and green chilli and let it fry till fragrant.
- After this, add the turmeric powder and chilli powder. Let it fry for a couple of seconds before adding the potatoes.
- Season with salt as per taste.
- Stir fry the potatoes for a couple of minutes till they are well coated in the spices and also fry a little in the process. Add amchur powder if you prefer a little tangy taste.
- Finally, garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!