Batata Nu Shaak is a dry potato side dish from the state of Gujarat. Is it liberally flavoured with sesame seeds. Many Gujarati dishes have a very simple flavouring of ground green chillies and ginger and this potato dish also has the same. It is a no onion, no garlic recipe that can be enjoyed as a side with rotis or rice.
I love potatoes in any form..:) Hence, there definitely was a motivation to try out this recipe when my friend first mentioned about this. It is also somewhat similar in preparation to the Jeera Aloo (Cumin Spiced Potatoes) that I have shared earlier.
Batata Nu ShaakCourse: SidesCuisine: Indian, GujaratiDifficulty: Easy
A quick and easy potato side dish!
Oil – 2-3 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
Sesame Seeds – 4 tsp
Curry Leaves – a few
Hing / Asafoetida – a pinch
Crushed Ginger Paste – from ½ inch piece of ginger
Green Chilli Paste – from 2 green chillies
Salt – as per taste
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Boiled Potatoes Cubes – 2 cups
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
Chopped Coriander Leaves – 2-3 tbsp
Step by Step Process
- Add oil in a kadai and once it is hot, add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves and hing.
- Once the seeds crackle, add the crushed ginger and chilli paste and let it saute till the raw smell is no longer there.
- To this, add the salt and turmeric powder and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the boiled potato cubes and mix well.
- Cook for 2-3 min on medium flame.
- Once the masala coats the potatoes well, add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves and turn off the heat.