Pancakes make for a wholesome breakfast and are very versatile in how you can pair them. A drizzle of honey or maple syrup to keep it simple or some fresh fruits, fruit compotes, berries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce to make it a royal breakfast!
It is in fact very easy to put together a pancake recipe and if your kids like it, it can be a good option for a lunchbox meal too.
Few things to keep in mind
- Batter: There is a difference in the batter prepared for pancakes and crepes. The pancake batter has a thicker consistency so that it doesn’t spread a lot and instead rises well while cooking.
- Flavor Variations: The recipe I am sharing is a basic pancake recipe. You can make changes to this in terms of flavors, as per your choice.
- Egg – 1
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Melted Butter – 3 tbsp (or approx 1/6th cup)
- Vanilla essence – 1 ½ tsp
- All Purpose Flour – 1 ½ cup
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
Step by Step Process
- Beat the eggs in a bowl lightly till the yolk and white is broken and well combined.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt, butter and vanilla essence and combine well.
- Sieve together the flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly whisk in the flour till a thick consistency is reached.
- The quantity of flour required might vary a little. So add little by little till the desired thick consistency is reached.
- Let the batter rest for 15 min. Heat a tawa and pour a ladle of batter onto it.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and let the pancake cook for a minute. Flip it over and let the other side cook as well.
- Remove onto a plate and serve with honey or maple syrup.
- This recipe makes about 8 – 9 pancakes.