Sandwiches usually make their way into our meal times either when we need something really quick to put together or when we want to have a mess-free meal..:) They also make for a good lunch box meal for kids and adults alike.
This recipe of chicken sandwich uses the eggless mayonnaise recipe that I have shared earlier. If you do not want to make the mayonnaise (by the way, it is really easy to whip up), you can always substitute it with a store bought mayo of your choice.
Few things to keep in mind
- Mayonnaise: As mentioned above, you can either follow the eggless mayonnaise recipe that I have shared earlier or use a store bought mayo that you prefer.
- Chicken: I have used boneless chicken for this recipe. However, if you have pieces of chicken with bone with you, then all you need to do it is to cook the chicken in the same way as I have shown for boneless chicken. Once cooked, remove the bone and then shred it with a fork. Rest of the process remains the same.
- Boneless Chicken – 100 gms (Take 150 gms if you are using chicken with bones)
- Crushed Garlic Clove – 1
- Finely shredded cabbage – a small piece
- Grated Carrot – a small piece
- Mayonnaise – 2 tbsp (https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/03/28/eggless-mayonnaise)
- Italian Seasoning – as per taste (Optional)
- Pepper – as per taste
- Salt – As per taste
- Sandwich Bread – 4 slices
- Butter/Ghee for toasting (for a toasted sandwich)
Step by Step Process
- Cut the boneless chicken into medium size pieces. Add the chicken along with the crushed garlic, salt and pepper and some water into a pan. Cover and let it cook for 10 min on medium heat.
- Once the chicken pieces are cooked, take it off heat and let it cool a little.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the chicken stock and shred it with a fork into small pieces.
- In a pan, add the chicken stock along with the shredded chicken and let it cook for a while, till all the excess moisture has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and add the shredded cabbage and grated carrot to the chicken along with the Italian seasoning, if using.
- Let the mixture cool down a little.
- Once cooled, add the mayonnaise (Check recipe: https://foodtokwithsherin.com/2020/03/28/eggless-mayonnaise) and mix thoroughly. Adjust the salt and pepper, as per taste.
- Take 4 slices of sandwich bread and spread the chicken filling evenly onto 2 slices. Close the sandwich with the remaining 2 slices and give it a gentle press with your palm.
- For a toasted sandwich, heat a pan and add a little butter onto it. Place the sandwiches and toast both sides to a golden-brown colour.
- These sandwiches can also be eaten as cold sandwiches without toasting.