This is one of those snacks which you can prepare really quick and with whatever ingredients you have in your refrigerator. I have used broccoli, corn and carrots but you can feel free to experiment with flavors of your choice. You can also add shredded meat, sausage bites or salami pieces as well.
The recipe I am sharing is non spicy and kids friendly. It has the base of a white sauce and cheese which makes for a very interesting snack for kids. And of course, all the veggies that go in is an added bonus for the mommies!
Few things to keep in mind
- Bread: It is always better to use fresh bread for the recipe and which is at room temperature. It just makes it easier when you are lining it in the muffin tray. However, if your bread is a day or two old, just bring it to room temperature (in case it is refrigerated) before you use it in the recipe. Even if the bread crumbles a bit, you don’t have to worry much as it is all in the muffin tray and hence will retain the shape once baked.
- Filling: You can replace the vegetables with vegetables/meat of your choice. The quantity mentioned in the recipe is indicative for making 6 bread cups.
- Seasonings: I prefer to keep the seasonings simple and hence use only salt, pepper, chilli flakes and some italian seasoning. You can season it with flavors as per your personal choice.
- Fresh Bread – 6 slices
- Corn – 1/2 cup (50 gms)
- Broccoli – 1 small size, cut into small pieces
- Carrot – 1 small size, coarsely grated
- Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
- Green/Red Chillies – 1, finely chopped
- Butter – To saute the vegetables and for spreading on the bread slices
- All Purpose Floor – 1/2 tbsp
- Milk – Enough to make a thick sauce
- Grated Cheese for garnishing
- Salt, Pepper, Chilli Flakes, Italian seasoning – as per taste
Step by Step Process
- Heat a tablespoon of butter in a pan and add the chopped garlic and chillies till fragrant.
- Add in all the veggies and saute for 5 min till almost cooked, but yet crunchy.
- Add the all purpose flour and mix well. Slowly add the milk and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed and you have a thick sauce.
- Next, add the seasonings as per taste and take it off heat.
- Grease a muffin tray with butter.
- Apply softened/melted butter on both sides of each bread slice.
- Gently push each bread slice into a muffin cup and use your hands or a spoon to shape it like a cup.
- Spoon in the vegetable mixture into the cups and top with some grated cheese.
- Bake the bread cups in a pre-heated oven at 190 deg C for 15 min – 20 min, till it’s a nice golden brown color on top.
These bread cups can be served with tomato ketchup or just enjoyed plain as well.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!