Vegetable Fried Rice is your answer when you know your kids do not care for the usual dal-chawal and are craving for something more exciting! It also make for a full and wholesome meal and is a good recipe for school or office lunch box.
It’s a very colourful meal by itself and loaded with veggies. So next time you have a request from school to send a colourful meal for your child’s lunch, you know what to make.
Few things to keep in mind
- Prepare before hand: Make sure all your veggies are cut before you start the cooking process. The entire cooking for this fried rice doesn’t take too much of time. So having everything chopped and ready makes life a lot easier!
- High heat: The vegetables used in any Indo-Chinese dish are not cooked thoroughly. They are sauted on a high heat so that they are cooked enough and at the same time maintain their crunchiness.
- Rice: A day old rice works best for fried rice. However, if you do not have left over rice, cook rice your usual way. Spread it on a plate and let it cool really well before you add it to the pan. This will reduce the chance of ending up with the rice sticking together in the fried rice!
- Cooked Rice – 1 1/2 cups
- Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped fine
- Carrots – 1/4th cup, diced into small cubes
- Beans – 1/4th cup, thinly sliced
- Capsicum – 1/4th cup, diced into small cubes
- Sweet Corn- 1/4th cup, boiled, drained and cooled
- Spring onions – a few
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Soya Sauce – 2 tsp
- Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil (Any unflavoured cooking oil works well for this recipe)
Step by Step Process
- Heat oil in a pan and add the garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add the carrots and beans along with the spring onion whites and saute on high flame.
- Once half cooked, add the boiled sweet corn and give it a quick stir.
- Add the vinegar, soya sauce and pepper and mix well. You may increase the quantity of pepper if you prefer a little spicier fried rice.
- Add the rice to this and toss it around well.
- Add salt, if required. Since the soya sauce already contains salt, check the taste before you add the salt.
- Garnish with spring onion greens.
This vegetable fried rice can be had just by itself or with any indo-chinese dry or gravy side dish of your choice.