I am sure you would have tried Chilli Paneer or Chilli Chicken at some point?? But what about Egg Chilli?? Well, this is another similar Indo-Chinese starter which can be prepared pretty quickly. This mouth watering Egg Chilly does not only look marvelous but also has great flavours. It is a remarkable combination of the nutrition of egg and the flavour of chilly and can be a show stealer at a party/get together. All you need to add to make and relish this appetizing Egg Chilly are love, warmth and affinity to get the best out of the recipe…:)
And if you would like to have this as a side-dish, then do check out the vegetable or chicken fried rice recipe! Oh, did I tell you – have this egg chilli hot. It tastes best when fresh and hot…
Few things to keep in mind
- Frying the eggs: Make sure the batter you prepare to coat the egg pieces is thick. Else it will slide off the egg and won’t give a proper coating when you fry them. And the result would be just plain fried eggs!
- Sauces: You can adjust the quantity of sauces as per your liking. If you have chilli paste, go ahead and use that instead of the chilli sauce.
For the coating
- Corn Flour – 1/4 cup
- All Purpose Flour – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Water – a little, to make a thick batter
- Eggs – 3, hard boiled
- Oil – for frying
For the sauce
- Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Green Chilli Sauce – 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Sauce / Paste – 1/4 cup
- Tomato Ketchup – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – a pinch
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves, finely chopped
- Onion – 1 medium size, cut into cubes
- Capsicum – 1 medium size, cut into cubes
- Green Chilli – 3, slit lengthwise
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
Step by Step Process
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients, except water, eggs and oil, together for the coating and add water to make a thick batter.
- Cut each boiled egg into 4 pieces and add it to the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan. Dip each egg piece into the batter and drop it carefully into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown.
- In another pan, heat a little oil and add the garlic. Fry the garlic till it starts changing color.
- Next, add the onion and fry till it’s translucent.
- Add the green chilli and capsicum and saute for a couple of min.
- To this, add all the sauces and give it a good mix. Add salt, if needed, and pepper.
- Finally, add the fried eggs and saute on high flame till the sauce coats the egg pieces. Take it off heat and serve hot.