Pola is a popular snack from North Kerala. There are sweet as well as savoury versions of pola. It can be made on the stove top or in the oven and is somewhat like a soft cake. Apple Pola is a sweet variation of this snack and has eggs and apples as the key ingredients.
Apple Pola can be flavoured as per your choice. Cinnamon and vanilla are generally used as both pair well with apples. You can also add a tiny bit of nutmeg too. Apple can be sliced and added directly to the egg mixture or you can fry the apple first and then add it to the egg. I like frying the apples for this recipe as it adds a caramelized flavour too.
Apple Pola is quite popular during the Ramadan time and is served during ifthar. You can also replace the apples with the kerala bananas to make a Kai Pola. For the savoury version, meat polas are quite popular.
Apple PolaCourse: Ifthar RecipesCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
An easy to make sweet dish from North Kerala!
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Cashews and Raisins – a few
Apples – 2, sliced
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Eggs – 3
Milk Powder – 2 tbsp
Baking Powder – 1/8 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – a pinch
- In a little ghee, fry the cashews and raisins and keep it aside.
- Add some more ghee and add the apple slices and fry till slightly golden brown. Take it off heat
- In a bowl, add the eggs, sugar, milk powder, baking powder, vanilla essence, cinnamon powder, salt, half of the fried cashews and raisins and all of the apple. Whisk this all well.
- Add some ghee to the pan and add the egg mixture into it.
- Add the remaining cashews and raisins on top and cook on low heat covered till it is done. Alternately, bake it in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 min till the centre is done.
- Let it cool down a little and then cut and serve.