If we search for Chicken Fry recipes, we will find a whole lot of recipes varying in flavours and style of preparation. My favourite among all these has always been the Kerala Style Chicken Fry. It is a popular dish across Kerala and is usually prepared in coconut oil. Chicken is marinated in spices and then deep fried in coconut oil along with curry leaves. What sets this apart is that all the masala which falls off the chicken pieces into the oil is also served along with the crunchy chicken pieces.
Chicken pieces are marinated in a blend of spices and kept refrigerated for a couple of hours so that the flavours are well absorbed. It is then deep fried and the result is a juicy yet crunchy chicken that you can just keep munching on. This is a great starter that you can serve to your guests. Even though traditionally coconut oil is used to fry the chicken, for those who are not great fans of the taste of coconut oil, you can use any other regular cooking oil for this preparation.
If you ever visit Kerala, don’t forget to try this chicken fry preparation at any of the local shops. Some of the “thattu kadas” serve the best version of this chicken fry!
Kerala Style Chicken FryCourse: StartersCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A lip-smacking chicken fry recipe from the Southern state of Kerala!
Chicken – 250 gms, curry cut pieces
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/8 tsp
Pepper Powder – ¼ tsp
Fennel Seeds – ¼ tsp
Salt – ¼ – ½ tsp
Vinegar – ½ tsp
Soy Sauce – ½ tsp
Cornflour – 2.5 tsp
Oil for frying
Curry leaves – a few
- In a bowl, add the ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, fennel seeds, salt and vinegar and mix well.
- To this, add the washed and cleaned chicken pieces and mix it all well. Keep this covered in the refrigerator for 4-6 hrs.
- Heat oil in a pan. Just before frying, add the cornflour to the chicken and mix well.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil and fry on high flame for about 1-2 min. Then fry on medium flame for 10-12 min till cooked.
- Just before removing from oil, add the curry leaves and let it fry together for a min or so. Remove from oil and serve hot.