Looking for an easy breakfast recipe or a snack for your kids’ tiffin? Then try these cheesy mini uthappams. These savory South Indian pancakes are easy and very versatile to make. And you can top it up with vegetables of your choice.
Uthappams are basically thick pancakes which can be made using dosa batter or you can make an instant uthappam batter following my recipe here. They are topped with chopped/grated vegetables and cooked on both sides. Cheese is generally liked by most kids and vegetables probably make them turn around and run away! In these Cheesy Mini Uthappams, you can hide the vegetables under the cheese and your kids will certainly enjoy them. This is a great meal option for fussy eaters too. It’s nutritious as it has the goodness of vegetables and is filling too.
When making for kids, I like making these miniature versions as it easy for the little ones to pick them up and eat.
Cheesy Mini UthappamCourse: Main, BreakfastCuisine: South IndianDifficulty: Easy
In these Cheesy Mini Uthappams, you can hide the vegetables under the cheese and your kids will certainly enjoy them.
Rawa/Semolina – 1 cup
Salt – 1 tsp (adjust as per taste)
Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Water – 3/4-1 cup
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
Colored Bell Peppers – 3-4 tbsp, finely chopped
Carrot – 1 small, grated
Processed Cheese Cube – grated
- Mix the semolina, water and salt together and keep it aside for 10 min. To this, add yoghurt and more water, if needed, to make a batter of thick consistency. Just before cooking, add baking soda to the batter.
- Mix together onion, bell peppers and carrot in a bowl.
- Heat a pan and brush some ghee on it.
- Add small ladles of batter to make mini uthappams. Spoon some of the mixed vegetables on top. Gently press it down into the batter. Drizzle some ghee or oil around the edges of the uthappams.
- Once the underside is cooked, flip and cook the top too. Flip it back and sprinkle some cheese on top. Cover and cook on low flame till the cheese starts melting.
- Serve with chutney or ketchup.