Are you counting calories but also counting days before you can cheat? This Healthy Quinoa Apple Kheer is the perfect dessert for you! Indulge without feeling any regret because this light take on the widely loved Indian dessert is here to win your heart over! You now know what to kick the festivities in with!
This is the perfect dessert for those days when you are really feeling like caressing your sweet tooth but do not want to load up on calories. It has enough fiber from the quinoa and apple and no added refined sugar too.
Quinoa Apple KheerCourse: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Little bites of something sweet is all I need to take the edge off sometimes. If you’re like me, you love sweets but don’t always love the calorie or fat count that comes with them. Then here is a healthy dessert which will give your sweet tooth a fix and leave you feeling good about it!
Quinoa – 1 cup
Low Fat/Skimmed Milk – 2 cups
Water – ½ cup
Milk – ½ cup
Apple – 1, grated
Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
Honey – 3-4 tbsp (adjust as per sweetness of apples)
Few chopped cashews, almonds and pistachios
Apple slices for garnish
- Clean the quinoa thoroughly under running water for a few minutes and then soak it for a couple of hours, if time permits.
- Soaking will help speed up the cooking process.
- Even if you do not have time to soak the quinoa, it is essential to wash the quinoa under running water for a couple of minutes.
- Drain off the water from the quinoa and then add it to a pan.
- Add the 2 cups of milk and ½ cup of water to the quinoa and cook it covered on low to medium heat till the quinoa is cooked thoroughly.
- Once quinoa is cooked, add the remaining ½ cup of milk and mix well and turn off the heat.
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes and then add the grated apple, cardamom powder, honey (as needed) and chopped nuts and mix it well.
- Garnish with apple slices and more nuts and serve.