Modak is one sweet which is made most often during Ganesh Chaturthi as modaks and laddoos are known to be Lord Ganesha’s favourite sweets. Modaks are mode to offer as prasad. The traditional modak is made using rice flour and filled with a mixture of coconut and jaggery.
This recipe of dates and nuts modak doesn’t use any refined sugar. It is a change from the other milk and sugar based modak preparations too.
Dates and Nuts ModakCourse: SweetsCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
A sugar-free recipe of modak using dates and dry fruits.
Ghee – 2-3 tsp
Dates – 2 cups, deseeded and chopped
Finely Chopped Cashews, Almonds and Pista – ¼ cup
Poppy Seeds, Lightly Roasted – ½ – 1 tbsp, for coating (optional)
Step by Step Process
- Add ghee to a pan and add the dates to it.
- Cook the dates till it is soft and mushy.
- Add the chopped dry fruits into it and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and let the modak mix cool down a little till you can handle it.
- Shape these using hands or the modak mould.
- Coat lightly with poppy seeds.