As a kid, I never remember having store bought biscuits and cookies. There will always be a batch of homemade cookies that mom would make and keep. And we used to love all those. In between snacks during study time used to be all about munching these cookies. Sometimes, she used to even hide a batch if she was expecting guests so that we don’t finish everything, but we used to find out all those hiding places too..:)
Compared to my mom, I don’t bake so many different varieties of cookies in large batches and keep. And whenever I do make a batch, it doesn’t last long either! Double Chocolate Cookies with a soft fudgy centre is one of the favourite among kids here. There are some others that they like too – cookies which they are used to having when they visit my parents, and which are mom’s specialities – like the nankhatai, melting moments, moon crescents etc.
When my friend and my videographer Krithika mentioned to me that she had tried out an eggless whole wheat cookie and it came out really well, I was curious. Eggless baking has been something that I have got really interested in after my sister and my brother’s kids started showing allergies to eggs. So when she shared the recipe, I tried it out immediately. All the ingredients needed were available with me, and I was really surprised as to how quickly the cookie dough was made and baking time was hardly 10-12 min. So in less than 30 min, I had a batch of cookies ready! I would say that you should definitely give this a try. This recipe uses whole wheat flour and instead of refined sugar, you can use jaggery/coconut sugar.
Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip CookiesCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Easy
A super easy whole wheat and eggless chocolate chip cookie with no refined sugar.
Ghee/Butter – ½ cup
Jaggery / Coconut Sugar – ½ cup
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Whole Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Corn starch – 1 tbsp
Baking Soda – ½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Milk – ¼ cup (only if needed to bind together)
Chocolate Chips / Chocolate chunks – 2-3 tbsp
Step by Step Process
- Preheat the oven at 180C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, sugar/jaggery and vanilla essence till it all incorporates well.
- To this add the flour, corn starch, salt and baking soda and mix well.
- Add milk if the dough looks dry. However, if it all comes together as a nice and soft dough, then there is no need to add any milk.
- Add the chocolate chips/chunks into the cookie dough and mix well. Make small balls of these and slightly press it and place it on the prepared baking tray.
- You can also refrigerate the dough for 10-15 min and then roll it out. Use a cookie cutter to cut cookies in different shapes and place it on the baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for about 10 min till the bottom turns light brown.
- Remove it from oven and let it cool completely before storing it an airtight container.
- Sugar: In case you don’t have jaggery or coconut sugar, you can replace the same with brown sugar or regular refined sugar too.