A trifle pudding is a delicious dessert you can put together quickly with flavours varying as per your choice. A trifle typically has layers of sponge cake, fruits and a custard, pudding or jelly. Depending on the season and availability of fruits, you can make different flavour variations to your trifle.
Since strawberries are in season and it’s Valentine’s Day in a couple of days, a Strawberry Trifle just seemed like the right choice. I have kept it really simple and quick to make with some store-bought vanilla sponge, a basic eggless vanilla custard and fresh strawberries. Since the sponge and pudding is in a vanilla flavour, you can always experiment with other fruits too.
Strawberry Trifle PuddingCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
An easy and quick to make dessert for Valentine’s Day!
- Strawberry Layer
Strawberry – 200 gms, chopped
Sugar – 1-2 tbsp (adjust as per sweetness of the fruit)
- Vanilla Pudding Layer
Milk – 1.5 cups
Cornstarch – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 3 tbsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Step by Step Process
- Cut the vanilla cake into small cubes and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, mix together the chopped strawberries and sugar and let it rest while you prepare the pudding. This will help release some of the juices from the fruit which can be used to pour on the cake layer.
- For the vanilla pudding, mix together sugar and cornstarch in a pan.
- To this add the milk and mix together till there are no lumps.
- Bring this to a boil, stirring continuously, so that the pudding mix is smooth and starts thickening.
- Once it has thickened, turn off the heat and add the vanilla essence and mix well. Let this cool down a little.
- To assemble the trifle, add the cake pieces as the bottom layer in the serving bowl/dish. Pour some of the syrup from the strawberry and sugar mix on top of the cake pieces. Layer the pudding on top of this and then add the strawberry pieces.
- For deeper bowls, these layers can be repeated again.
- Refrigerate this so that the layers set well, before serving.