These date rolls are just the way they should be-lovely rolls, crumbly short crust pastry, delicate sweet dates ,you just can’t have one! With Diwali around the corner we just talk about sweets and lights. This simple recipe is here to add to your Diwali dinner spread or to your after-dinner sugar cravings. Simple and quick date rolls will surely impress your guests at the doorsteps.
Few things to keep in mind
- Dates: The weight of dates I have used in this recipe is before deseeding them. And I have chopped them to small pieces so that it is faster and easier to cook.
- Marie Biscuits: I have used Marie biscuits in this recipe. But these can be replaced with any other biscuits which are mild in flavour and not too sweet.
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Butter 50 gms
- Dates – 250 gms, deseeded and chopped
- Marie Biscuit – 100 gms (abour 22 biscuits)
- Cornflour – 1/2 tbsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsb
Step by Step Process
- Bread the biscuits into 6-8 pieces each and keep it aside.
- In a pan, add the sugar and let it caramelize. As it changes to a golden brown color, add the butter to it and mix.
- Next, add the dates and stir till the dates are cooked.
- Add the cornflour and vanilla essence to this and mix it well.
- Turn off the heat and then add the marie biscuit pieces to the dates mix and mix it well.
- Divide the mix into two parts. Take a parchment paper and add half the mix and using the paper, roll it up like a log.
- Repeat the same process with the next half.
- Let it cool and then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.