Lemon Rice is a typical South Indian delicacy prepared using cooked rice. Rice is flavoured with mild spices and lemon juice and it makes for a great lunch box meal option. It tastes great just by itself, but you can always have it with a side dish or some chips too.
Few things to keep in mind
- Oil: I have used sesame oil in this recipe. However, you can use peanut oil or any other oil of your choice too if you don’t prefer sesame or peanut oil.
- Lemon Juice: Add lemon juice little by little, adjusting as per your preference of taste. Some people only like it mildly flavoured with lemon juice whereas other really love the punch from lemon juice.
- Oil (Sesame Oil / Peanut Oil. If these are not available, then any regular cooking oil)
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Dry red chillis – 2, split into half
- Green chilli – 1, split into half
- Curry leaves – around 10-12
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger – 1/4 inch pc, finely chopped
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Cooked Rice – 4 cups
- Lemon juice – 1.5-2 tbsp
Step by Step Process
- Heat some oil in a kadai and add the peanuts to it. Fry till golden brown in colour. Remove it from the oil and keep it aside.
- Next, add the cashews and fry till it changes color lightly. Keep these aside while you prepare the lemon rice.
- In the same oil, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Next, add the urad dal and chana dal and fry till it starts to change color.
- Add the red chillies to this and give it a quick stir.
- Next, add the green chilli and curry leaves and fry a little.
- Add the turmeric powder and ginger and fry till fragrant.
- Add the hing and turn off the heat.
- Into this, add the cooked rice along with some salt and the lemon juice and mix it well.
- Finally add the fried peanuts and cashews. Serve hot with some dry potato roast or potato chips.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!