Gulab Jamuns happen to be one of my favourite Indian sweets. I am usually not satisfied with having just one when I get a chance..;) So, when I chanced upon this recipe for bread gulab jamuns, it appeared too good to be true! So simple to make and the looks of this can be really deceptive. I decided to give it a try. It is definitely a replica of our regular gulab jamuns. In terms of taste, these are a little different though. But then, if you are wanting to make a quick sweet, without much effort, then there is definitely no reason why you shouldn’t try this out.
Few things to keep in mind
- Kneading the bread: You should knead the dough with real soft hands just till its all wet and can be combined together into a smooth ball. The more you knead, the jamuns tend to become harder in the centre and won’t absord the sugar syrup properly.
For making Jamuns
- White Bread slices – 5
- Milk – 5 tbsp / 75 ml
- Oil / Ghee for frying
For making sugar syrup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 ½ cups
- Cardamom – 2
- Pistachios for garnishing
Step by Step Process
- To make the sugar syrup, bring water to a boil and add the sugar into it. Crush the cardamom pods and add it to the sugar syrup. Let it boil for a couple of minutes till it thickens a little. Keep this aside.
- Cut the edges of the bread slices and cut it into small pieces.
- In a clean bowl, take the bread slices and slowly add the milk. Do not add the entire quantity of milk together. Let the bread soak the milk and then start mashing it. Add only enough milk so that the bread comes together into a dough.
- Take care not to over-mix, else the gulab jamuns will turn hard.
- Make small balls lightly between your palms.
- Heat oil / ghee or a mix of both in a pan and slowly add the jamuns and fry them till golden brown.
- Add the fried jamuns immediately to the sugar syrup. Once all jamuns are added to the sugar syrup, bring the syrup to a boil again.
- Cover and let it cool for an hour, so that the fried jamuns soak up the syrup.
- Garnish with pistachios and serve.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!