Savoury Twisters or Nimki or Namek Pare – all different names for the same item. This is a pretty quick snack that can be made and is one of the regular items prepared during Indian festivals like Diwali and Holi. It can be made well in advance and stored in an air-tight container at room temperature.
I make these at home for the kids and they like taking it in their snack box as well to school. Sometimes, I toss these in piri piri masala to make a slightly spicy varient as well!!
Few things to keep in mind
- Cumin Seeds: I have used cumin seeds in this recipe. But you can replace it with carrom seeds (ajwain) too. If you want to keep it plain salted without any other flavours, you can skip the cumin / carrom seeds.
- Making of the dough: The dough you make for this should be a tight dough. Don’t make a soft dough like we make for rotis.
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp (See Recipe Notes above)
- Salt – to taste
- Baking soda – a pinch
- Butter – ¼ cup (at room temperature)
- Oil for frying
Step by Step Process
- Add the cumin seeds, salt and baking soda to the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Rub in just enough butter into the flour to get a bread crumb texture. Keep the remaining butter aside.
- Add in water slowly to make a dough. It should not be a very soft dough.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular shape. Apply half of the remaining butter to 2/3rd portion off the rolled dough.
- Fold the 1/3rd part without the butter onto the part with the butter and then fold the remaining 1/3rd part with the butter on top it.
- Turn this 90 degrees and apply the remaining butter to 2/3rd of the roll. Repeat the same process as in step 5.
- Roll out the dough again into a rectangle and cut half to one inch strips and cut each strip further into 1.5 – 2 inch length. Twist each piece in the centre twice to resemble a bow.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the twisters till golden brown. Drain it on a kitchen tissue and store in an airtight container, once cooled.
Love food?? Love cooking even more?? Check out FoodTokWithSherin for easy to make delicious recipes!!!