Most of us love sandwiches in one form or the other. And a cheese sandwich is one of the easiest to make. If we are in a mood to make it a little fancier, we can go a step further and make a chilli cheese sandwich.
Chilli Cheese Sandwich is a famous Mumbai street food, but the recipe I am going to share today is a little different from that. My son, Johann, had this at a local cafe in Bangalore and instantly liked it. So then the next thing was to try it out at home. But while doing so, he made some small changes of his own as well. Since then, this has become a regular after school evening snack for the kids. And he is very particular that we make it the way he has taught us!!!
Few things to keep in mind
- Butter: Make sure your butter is softened and at room temperature. In case the butter is in the fridge and you wish to make this, just cut a small cube that you would need and put it in the microwave for 10 sec and then mix it up nicely
- Garlic: It is always better to crush the garlic really nicely for this recipe.
- Chillies: If you do not wish to make the sandwich spicy, you can reduce the chillies. You can also de-seed the chillies, which will really reduce the spiciness.
- Bread – 4 slices
- Grated Cheese (Mozarella / Pizza Cheese / Cheese Cubes) – 1/2 cup
- Green Chillies – 2, chopped fine (You may de-seed one or both the chillies to reduce the spiciness)
- Seasoning of your choice (Italian seasonings go well with this recipe)
- Softened Butter – 1 tbsp
- Finely Crushed Garlic – 2 cloves
- Salt – as per taste
Step by Step Process
- Mix the grated cheese, chopped chillies and seasoning together in a bowl and keep it aside.
- In another bowl, add the softened butter, crushed garlic and salt and mix well.
- To assemble the sandwich, take the bread slices and cut the edges, if you prefer it that ways.
- Spread the cheese filling between two slices of bread and make two sandwiches.Gently press the sandwiches down so that the slices stick a bit to each other.
- Apply the prepared garlic butter on the top slice and then place it on a hot pan, buttered side down.
- Keep the pan on a low flame, and apply the garlic to the other side of the sandwich, which will now be on top.
- Flip the sandwich over and cover the pan with a lid and cook till the side on the pan is golden brown. Flip it again and continue cooking on the other side.
- Once both sides are golden brown, the cheese would have melted as well.
- Cut each sandwich into two and serve hot with ketchup or any other dip of your choice. This sandwich tastes absolutely fantastic without any dip as well.
This is a very filling snack for kids and gives them the required energy for their evening extra curricular activities. You can also make it more interesting by adding any other fillings of their choice as well, along with the cheese.